Joby Aviation is seeking a passionate individual to join our mechanical engineering team. This individual would be responsible for designing flight critical components and mechanisms. This role will often involve design work starting at the conceptual level, mature into full 3D modeling, check with FEA analysis and hand calculations, and continue into manufacturing. Hands-on experience and a “get it done" attitude are very important for this position. This position is rewarding, as the engineer will promptly see their ideas grow from concept to creation due to the fast pace of Joby Aviation.
- Design of complicated mechanisms, linkages, actuators, etc.
- Initial layout and sizing
- Detailed design and fabrication instruction writing
- Direct communication with vendors and technicians in manufacturing
- B.S. in mechanical engineering or another relevant discipline
- Excellent problem solving and communication skills
- Strong analytical background
- Experience with hands-on design and testing
- Proficiency in mechanical design, materials selection, kinematics, troubleshooting, and analysis
- Strong volumetric awareness
- Proficiency with CAD
- M.S./Ph.D. in relevant discipline
- 2+ years of working experience in relevant industry
- Experience with Dassault Systemes CAD, specifically using Generative Shape Design, Part Design, and Assembly Design
- Experience with finite element tools (Abaqus)
- Aircraft homebuilding or rapid prototyping experience is a plus
When completing your application, please provide a cover letter, resume and portfolio.