As a Fiber Optic Splicer, you will be primarily focused on fusion splicing of new and existing fiber optic cables in the Jaguar Network. You’ll drive a company van, and dispatch to various hand holes throughout our network to route fiber optic strands to new customers hooking up with Jaguar Communications for TV, Phone, and Internet Service.
Essential Job Functions:
- Prepare and fusion splice all types of fiber optic cables in both indoor and outdoor environments
- Perform midspan (mid-sheath) access on armored and unarmored fiber optic cables
- Build proper splice closures, seal and ground accordingly
- Work with construction PMs and/or OSP engineers to perform splicing as directed
- Utilize OTDR, OLTS, and related test equipment to troubleshoot and test fiber
- Review and interpret splice logs and circuit diagrams
- Communicate and coordinate with other workers, vendors and customers
- Travel occasionally. Work nights if necessary. Be part of a rotating 24/7/365 on-call schedule. This job requires a flexible work schedule! Ability to work overtime on a weekly basis.
- Perform day or night hot cut work
- Work in confined spaces such as trenches or manholes
Desired Skills and Abilities:
- High school diploma or GED required. Trade school training preferred.
- Valid driver’s license; satisfactory driving record required.
- Experience in the telecommunications industry
- Experience with Fusion Splicing fiber optic cables
- Ability to interpret and correctly fill out various work order forms provided by the Company.
- Ability to interact with customers and co-workers; ability to communicate verbally.
- Good written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to work in all weather conditions and at various heights.
- Ability to work flexible work hours, including evenings, weekends, holidays and overtime as required.