Paxos is a financial technology company delivering pioneering blockchain solutions for global financial institutions. Its flagship service is BankchainTM, a next-generation blockchain settlement platform that is transforming post-trade across capital markets. Paxos’ management team is led by CEO and Co-Founder Charles Cascarilla and its board of directors includes former FDIC chair Sheila Bair, former Senator Bill Bradley, former chair of the Financial Accounting Standards Board Robert Herz, former chairman, president & CEO of Lotus Development Corporation Jim Manzi and former NYSE CEO Duncan Niederauer.
We are looking for a Communications Director to build and manage our internal and external communication strategy. This is a role that affects not only product/business brand but our employer brand and our culture within the organization as well. Since this is a high-growth tech company that is solving a very unique and challenging problem for the global financial ecosystem, the role inherently offers an opportunity to not just handcraft our message, but also to influence our product development and impact on the world.
We hold ourselves to a very high hiring bar. To achieve this, we think of roles first and foremost as outcomes to be achieved, not simply a description of tasks. We have developed what we call a ‘Success Profile’ for this role, which has two sections:
- Outcomes: Meaningful and measurable work products that have a significant impact on the team and business over a defined timeframe.
- How to Achieve Outcomes: We have a strong point of view on how this role will succeed in achieving outcomes at Paxos. So, we have taken the Operating System of Paxos - our values - and made it relevant to this role.
- Design, implement and oversee a comprehensive communications strategy that drives the growth outcomes of both our itBit and Paxos businesses. Success is measured by the team’s ability to leverage external communication to engage customers, partners and other stakeholders.
- Create strong relationships with external parties such as press, analysts, industry groups and other stakeholders that facilitate our story to be communicated to our target audiences. Success is measured by how well external parties understand our story and mission.
- Identify and manage external resources such as communication agencies and content developers to align with our company and communication goals. Success is measured by the strength of our working rhythm with external resources.
- Partner with the People team and key executives to build and execute a powerful employer brand that attracts the best in class talent. Success is measured by the increase in qualified high quality applicants.
- Build a framework of internal communications that creates both efficiency and clarity among team members across different departments and geographies. Success is measured by the increase in team clarity and understanding across the organization.
How to achieve the Outcomes
Technical Acumen Required:
- An understanding of communication strategies and tactics for enterprise technology companies.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to learn complicated concepts and communicate them simply.
- Comfort working in a tech-driven environment with the ability to coordinate across several stakeholder groups (Engineering, Operations, Marketing, HR, etc.)
Commitment to Excellence:
- You obsess about details. You know that caring about details and know that those details significantly enhances the effectiveness of your work.
- You advocate for the best possible solution instead of taking shortcuts in your work.
- Ability to really understand the products we’re building at a high degree of depth. You don’t shy away from complicated topics, but dive into understanding them at a core level. You are unwilling to just be OK with a surface level understanding of our business and mission.
Search for the Truth:
- You don’t assume our product or company is the same as others you’ve worked on. You seek experts and find the best strategies and execution is for our company.
- You have a track record of being able to diagnose and recognize when the right idea is either being shot down or does not get due credit. You advocate for those ideas even when it doesn’t play in your favor.
- Display a level of comfort and willingness to research topics that you are unfamiliar with. Complicated topics, concepts, strategies doesn’t faze you - in fact that is how you operate on a normal basis.
Be an Owner:
- You don’t just take responsibility for communications at the company, but also the outcomes it produces. You take responsibility for the business outcomes that communications drives.
- You look both internally and externally for trends and lead initiatives to address them cross-functionally.
- You communicate feedback with no ambiguity and in the most direct way possible.
- Externally, you have the ability to directly communicate with external vendors, press and other stakeholders.
Paxos is an equal opportunity employer. It does not discriminate on the basis of sex, age, color, race, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, physical and mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, veteran status or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law.