Product Designer - Precious Metals
Paxos is a financial technology company delivering pioneering blockchain solutions for global financial institutions. Its flagship service is BankchainTM, a next-generation blockchain settlement platform that is transforming post-trade across capital markets. Paxos’ management team is led by CEO and Co-Founder Charles Cascarilla and its board of directors includes former FDIC chair Sheila Bair, former Senator Bill Bradley, former chair of the Financial Accounting Standards Board Robert Herz, former chairman, president & CEO of Lotus Development Corporation Jim Manzi and former NYSE CEO Duncan Niederauer.
We are looking for a Product Designer to join our product development team to discover a viable software product in the precious metals industry. Our flagship Blockchain product, BankchainTM, has an ambitious mission to help customers digitize/tokenize any asset (equities, metals, commodities and more) and enable their movement with utmost trust and efficiency.
We hold ourselves to a very high hiring bar. To achieve this, we think of roles first and foremost as outcomes to be achieved, not simply a description of tasks. We have developed what we call a ‘Success Profile’ for this role, which has two sections:
- Outcomes: Meaningful and measurable work products that have a significant impact on the team and business over a defined timeframe.
- How to Achieve Outcomes: We have a strong point of view on how this role will succeed in achieving outcomes at Paxos. So, we have taken the Operating System of Paxos - our values - and made it relevant to this role.
- User Experience and User Interface:. Deliver an intuitive and well-architected user’s journey through a series of complex workflows. Success is measured by ease of navigation by customers and design-related engagement metrics.
- Agile/Lean User Discovery: Partner with the Product Manager to iteratively discover and create prototypes that ultimately improve product market fit. Success is measured by the quality and quantity of valuable client feedback generated through your prototypes.
- Flexible, Fast, and Minimal Delivery: Conceive and execute a framework to prioritize design elements that can be delivered fast and will generate the most value to customers. Success is measured by the extent to which useful discovery reduces churn with engineering as well your resourcefulness in adapting prototype designs to real-world delivery constraints.
How to achieve the Outcomes:
Functional acumen required:
- Mastery of modern UX/UI design principles especially as applied to enterprise software products.
- Mastery of software design tools such as Sketch, Adobe Suite etc. is required.
- Understanding lean/agile best practices especially as applied to design within a startup product development team, and the designer’s role in the team’s effort to iteratively improve product market fit is desired.
- Familiarity with software front-end frameworks, their characteristics and in what scenarios they should be applied is desired.
Shared commitment to excellence:
- Have a very high bar for what is ideal product design. You recognize excellent design and are a passionate student of it. You aspire to achieve this excellence in your own work.
- You embrace real-world constraints and have a bias for shipping working designs that are good enough.
- You teach the team the importance of good design and you make sure that the team understands the impact of design compromises when they are considered. You help keep the bar for good design high for the entire team.
Search for the truth:
- Be able to keep your biases about the way you’ve designed products in the past aside. Take a first principles approach to making design decisions that is grounded in the users, business and mission of the company.
- Recognize the importance of data in understanding user behavior and making design decisions. You champion implementing data systems that efficiently inform design.
- Approach design problems with an experimenter’s mind. Be willing to try and experiment with different approaches. You challenge your own assumptions when presented with new data.
- Recognize, champion and advance creative solutions to sticky problems regardless of where or who they come from.
Be an owner:
- Focused on outcomes, not inputs or outputs
- You take an expansive view of what is “product design” and reach out of your own domain of expertise and comfort in order to collaborate with your partners in Engineering and Product. You influence them to appropriately consider design implications of their decisions.
Real time candor:
- Do not hesitate to voice ‘inconvenient truths’ at the right time, in front of the right audience, while making product or user facing decisions. Doing so in a way that leads to a better solution is paramount, even if it is inconvenient for others in the moment.
- Build strong trust with cross-functional partners, particularly in engineering and the product, by disagreeing with them in an open and caring way when required, but working in earnest to activate a decision that has been made even if it goes against what you wanted to do.
- A strong enterprise software design background with progressive growth in role scope that has led to designing complex products is needed.
- Experience working in highly ambiguous and fast-paced environments such as a Product-led tech startup is desirable.
- Familiarity with lean and agile ideologies and management practices is desirable.
Paxos is an equal opportunity employer. It does not discriminate on the basis of sex, age, color, race religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, physical and mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, veteran status or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law.