- Build high quality and robust test automation solutions for functional and regression testing that would reduce test cycle times and increase customer satisfaction. Customer satisfaction is measured by ensuring quality is within defined defect density.
- Build and maintain CI/CD pipeline that would provide a mean to check code quality, get faster feedback and reduce defects. Success is measured by the quality of deliverables and the speed of deployment to production.
- Identify and proactively tackle technical debt to avoid significant work that would be needed to resolve it.
- Active involvement and mentorship of junior engineers by doing code reviews resulting in leveling up of skill sets for the entire team.
- Find, isolate (root cause analysis), document, regress, and track defects through resolution across different environments. Success is measured by reduction in defect leakage.
How to achieve the Outcomes
Technical Acumen Required:
- API testing with tools such as SOAPUI, Postman, KarateDSL or REST-Assured.
- Proven experience in building and managing at least one test automation framework such as RSpec, Cucumber, Jasmine, Robot Framework.
- Experienced in Linux/Unix software, Shell or Perl scripting.
- Experience in fault injection and CI (using Jenkins) is a nice to have.
Search for the truth:
- Communicates effectively, consistently and in a timely fashion, across functions and is able to work well with the Product, Development, UX, and business teams.
- Proactively identifies problems with requirements for their own work and adjacent work, and communicate these issues early to help course-correct.
- Interpret and report testing results, and be a vocal proponent for quality in every phase of the development process
Be an Owner:
- Shows initiative beyond merely knocking tasks off a list. Identifies and suggests areas of future work for themselves and their teams.
- Work with software development engineers to understand the overall technical architecture and how each feature is implemented.
- Produce output by taking a complex user story, breaking it down into acceptance criteria, and complete testing of the acceptance criteria through automated tests.
Shared Commitment to Excellence:
- Have the mentality of "Automation-First" and guide other team members in taking the automate everything approach.
- Able to work independently with very little oversight beyond high-level direction.
- Participates extensively in code reviews, mentors others via code reviews.
- Able to communicate effectively across functions. The ability to get work done across teams goes beyond mere proactive status updates (although that is expected as well).
- Play a leadership role in making the right trade-offs even when doing so might mean more work for themselves, as long as that is the right thing to do.