IronRidge is seeking a creative Senior Product Design Engineer with solar product development experience who will be responsible for leading the development of new/advanced products and sustaining existing products. Accountabilities include defining product and customer requirements, identifying new opportunities for technical and design innovation for volume growth, and working with other IronRidge designers to develop exciting residential and commercial products that reinforce our brand. You will be a key member of the Product Design and Engineering Team within IronRidge's Products Group, whose Mission is to develop and field innovative solar BOS solutions that make our customer's lives easier, our products enjoyable and solar power beautiful and ubiquitous.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Your primary responsibility is contributing to the design development of IronRidge's new products, as well as enhancing current products by:
- Leading and/or participating in the full spectrum of product development phases via brainstorm sessions, sync meetings, and cross-functional collaboration to include; concept and design development, conceptual design development and down-selection, detailed design and validation, first article evaluations, qualification and certification, and a range of launch related activities
- Preparing prototype design and procurement specifications, mock-up design and build efforts, and ability to contribute to defining test and qualification plans
- Applying design of experiments (DOE) processes with prototypes to verify function and fits and their impact on various product features
- Creating production-level drawings, and collaborating with other design engineers to do the same
- Collaborating with suppliers on design for manufacturing strategies, cost reduction efforts, applying relevant standards, and hitting quality targets
- Creating and managing project schedules, and leading weekly product "sync" meetings with other Groups
- Being aware of and balancing our brand and design ethos with project imperatives including cost and schedule
- Supporting IronRidge's commitment and responsibilities to ISO 9001
- BS in relevant engineering field (Mechanical, Civil, Materials, Industrial, etc.)
- Ability to travel as much as 5-20% of your time
- Ability to meet with domestic and overseas suppliers via web conferencing/phone 1 to 2 times a week.
- Ability to travel to domestic and overseas suppliers 2-3 times per year
- Experience designing for various manufacturing methods/processes including extrusion, casting, die-casting, forging, cold heading, and stampings using materials including aluminum, stainless steel, and galvanized steel
- Strong component design, 3D modeling, and drawing skills
- Experience developing and launching products for outdoor use requiring consistent structural and electrical performance over the 30 year design lifetime
- Ability to communicate and collaborate across functional groups and diverse audiences, while working in a dynamic team and project focused environment.
- Proficient in SolidWorks CAD package
- Strong background in Statics and Mechanics of Materials. Must be able to obtain reaction loads and moments.
- Must be able to calculate stresses from loads applied, and identify the full range of failure modes for a given product
- Strong track record in similar roles with a portfolio of previous work that can be reviewed and that demonstrates candidate's abilities relevant to the job description
- Experience with having products certified towards UL requirements
- Ability to use basic shop tools and equipment, and a variety of measurement tools to assess form, fit, and function of prototypes, and modify them to assess various design parameters and their effect on product requirements