Note: This is for a position in our Madison, WI office only. No remote applications, please.
The Frontend Intern will help Ionic with the frontend development needs of 3 different aspects of the company: Communications, Documentation, and SaaS Interfaces.
They will work with our design and marketing teams to build the public face of Ionic for our millions of web visitors. As a company whose products target web developers, it is essential that our web presence is not just world class, but also an enjoyable experience that keeps users coming back for more.
The quality of our documentation is critical to the success of the Ionic Framework. We take pride in our systems that ensure our documentation is automatically on every commit. As the Ionic Framework grows and changes, these processes require updating to ensure our users get accurate and complete information. The frontend team must also make sure that our documentation is easy to use and navigate, while making sure it is easy for the framework team to update content.
Ionic has a number of web applications: from simple single-page tools like ionicons.com
to large mission-critical applications like dashboard.ionicjs.com
. The frontend team builds and maintains the front-facing interfaces and state management of these applications.
The successful candidate will be a “hacker-creator” or someone who can use creative solutions to build amazing products with an extreme focus on user experience and a deep appreciation for quality design. This person will want to work on web sites or applications where priorities change quickly and the ability to adapt is critical. Crucial to cultural fit and success in the role is a driving curiosity and passion for the web stack (HTML, CSS, JS). Our tech stack currently includes Angular, React, Node, Python, PostgreSQL, MongoDB, Heroku, GithubPages, Docker and AWS. We value experience with these tools and technologies, but we consider the personal characteristics that align with high performance in an engineering role and culture fit to be of the utmost importance.
Desired Skills, Experience and Characteristics
- You care about user experience and consider the end user in every decision you make.
- You value design and visual aesthetics and strive to make your work pixel-perfect.
- You are laser focused on the end-user while also keeping in mind what the business is working to achieve and how your work will support business objectives.
- You are someone who is constantly evaluating the newest technologies and thinking of ways to incorporate them into your work.
- You’re results oriented. You like creatively solving problems and using your knowledge and expertise to help people in a range of ways.
- Your personality fits and even enhances Ionic’s culture of humility, authenticity, continuous learning and improvement, transparency, communication and customer centricity.
- You’re not freaked out by the ambiguity common in a startup.
- You’re a self-starter.
- You’re a team player -- you put the interests of the team and the company above your own.
- Experience in CSS (SCSS, BEM, LESS, SASS).
- Experience building several websites that you can share.
- Experience with web animation (CSS Transitions, CSS Animations, Canvas) is a plus.
- Experience with templating languages (Jekyll, Nunjuks, Mustache) is a plus.
- Experience with Heroku, Github Pages, or AWS is a plus.
- Experience building web applications and/or mobile apps is a plus