About Design at Ionic
Much of Ionic’s success has been driven by design. Business products are all about making their users badass at what they do and. We give app developers two superpowers:
1. The ability to create a single-codebase app across platforms (mobile, web, PWA, desktop) with the web technologies they already know and love and
2. The ability to create beautiful apps without design skills
It’s no accident -- one of our co-founders, Ben Sperry is a designer, so design is built into our DNA. Ben is now looking to bring a highly talented product designer onto his team to help us do even more of what has gotten us this far.
Ionic's Design Team will work across nearly every part of the business — from our visual brand identity, open source projects and websites, to our commercial products and mobile apps. Ionic’s main audience is developers who are building apps, so we take pride in crafting visual design experiences that look and feel amazing out-of-the-box.
About the role
The Lead Product Designer will report to Ben Sperry, co-founder and Chief Design Officer.
In this role you will...
• Work with our product and web teams to define both the long-term and the short-term design goals and strategies.
• Help clarify Ionic's visual brand identity internally and externally.
• Work closely with Ben and others to develop and expand design guidelines and systems.
• Work across a variety of design stages - sketches, wireframes, prototypes, designs (and even code if you want/can!)
• Work through all parts of the user experience on our product and web presence.
In your first 90 days and beyond you work on these projects:
• Ionic Pro - Our flagship commercial product; an integrated set of cloud tools, services, and capabilities to build amazing apps.
• Ionic web presence - our high-traffic website (1.5 million visits/month) and product pages
• Ionic Framework - Our popular open source project.
You’ll be successful in this role because you...
• Have meaningful experience working across UI, UX, and visual design, but with a focus on product design.
• Are “a simplifier, ” i.a. able to reduce complex design problems down to their essence and come up with solutions that balance of flexibility, power, and ease of use.
• Actively seek interaction with and feedback from users/customers to really understand their needs.
• Make the user/customer central to every design decision you make and every asset or experience that you create.
• Know when your work is “good enough” and you should move onto more pressing needs.
• Can explain your work, process, and decisions (which are rooted in your understanding of users) to your teammates.
• Are self-aware but also seek and act on feedback from your team in order to learn and grow..
• Love working with other creatives, enjoy learning new skills from them, and have the desire to learn and grow yourself.
• Can debate ideas candidly but in a civil manner and are open to others’ points of view.