We are considering candidates for this role who are able to work out of one of our U.S. offices in Palo Alto, CA; Chicago, IL; or Charlotte, NC.
Instrumental is creating the future of manufacturing, empowering hardware companies to optimize their factories through the use of artificial intelligence. Thanks to Instrumental, companies can:
- increase yields (the percent of goods passing inspection);
- decrease dark yield (the escape of goods that should have failed inspection); and,
- trace everything (to narrowly scope recalls to only those goods affected).
Our product is delighting customers, who now have access to technology that produces results previously unattainable. The Instrumental customer list is growing across a diverse set of manufacturing applications, and we are asking you to help us scale to the needs of that entire market.
With ~30 people we are a small but mighty team, so if you are looking for a place where you can work with friendly people and have outsized impact on entire industries, then keep reading!
About the role:
Instrumental provides a web application to our customers where they can explore data from their assembly lines. As a frontend engineer, you will extend this web app with new ways to interact with and learn from that photographic and numerical data. You’ll also work on internal tools that help our machine learning and operations teams deliver great customer experiences. You’ll have significant autonomy to help define and implement these high-impact solutions.
We also value good tools. For example, frontend deploys involve running a single command and take just a few minutes, so we deploy frequently and with confidence. “Watch mode” compilation usually takes under a second. We have “branch environments” to test any pull request in a production-like environment with real data. And we have robust tests.
This isn't a solo job - you will be working together not only with the web app team, but with other engineers, operations, and product staff in a quest to improve the way that things are made. We value an inclusive environment and actively work to promote diversity in our team.
We’re looking for you if you:
- Have at least a basic understanding of user experience design
- Can break down broad user requirements into smaller actionable engineering tasks
- Care about getting the details right, but recognize the benefits of feedback-driven iteration
- Enjoy the energy of a small team pushing the needle in a dynamic industry
Prior experience with manufacturing is not expected.
How you’ll do it:
- Breaking down product specifications into engineering tasks
- Writing clean, thoughtful code to produce value for customers and internal teams
- Engaging in internal feedback cycles and participating in user feedback sessions to help plan new features and improve existing ones
- Communicating with the team about progress, risks, and planning
- Writing tests to ensure a quality build for our end users
What success looks like in this role:
- Leading the development and delivery of highly visible, valuable features to customers
- Contributing to the design of engaging user experiences
- Growing as an engineer by both learning from others and mentoring others
- Gaining real-world knowledge of the manufacturing domain and how our software helps
- Making a tangible impact on the modernization of manufacturing