Instrumental makes intelligent engineering tools to help companies identify issues on their assembly lines so they can ship higher quality products faster. We are working to improve the manufacturing of millions of things every single day.
We're growing our Software Engineering team to develop new ways for users to interact with and learn from the data we collect on their manufacturing line. While we do not ask for experience in the following, our frontend codebase uses TypeScript, HTML, and SCSS. Instrumental Engineering values good tools, robust tests, frequent deploys, and intellectual curiosity.
Our small but mighty team is consistently collaborative, supportive of each other, and highly energized by the opportunity for such a large impact. We value an inclusive environment and actively work to promote diversity in our own team.
We’re looking for you if you:
- Are self-motivated; can break down broad tasks into actionable pieces and take them on independently
- Have demonstrated strong attention to detail
- Enjoy the energy of a small team pushing the needle in a dynamic industry
- Have at least a basic understanding of user experience design
- Are excited to advocate for high-quality user experiences
Prior experience with manufacturing is not expected.
What you’ll do:
Instrumental provides a web application to our customers where they can explore data from their manufacturing line. As a frontend engineer, you will expand this core feature set by exposing new ways to interact with and learn from that photographic and numerical data. You’ll have significant autonomy to help define and implement these high-impact solutions.
How you’ll do it:
- Breaking down product specifications into engineering tasks and writing clean, thoughtful code to produce value for customers
- Engaging in internal feedback cycles and participating in user feedback sessions to help plan new features and improve existing ones
- Communicating with the team about progress, risks, and planning
- Writing tests to ensure a quality build for our end users
What success looks like in this role:
- Leading the development and delivery of highly visible, valuable features to customers
- Contributing to the design of engaging user experiences
- Growing as an engineer by both learning from others and mentoring others
- Gaining real-world knowledge of the manufacturing domain and how our software helps
- Making a tangible impact on the modernization of manufacturing