Our Matchmove Team is responsible for both matchmove and layout, then passed down to other departments via the VFX pipeline. When the matchmove gets outsourced, the Matchmove Team is responsible for QC shots providing useful and precise feedback for the vendors.
The Matchmover is required to create, solve or extend camera motion, assist in pre- and post-visualization, and perform complex layout and matchmoving tasks in live action film and high concept television productions.
- Camera tasks.
- Recreating (solving) or creating the movement of a mono or stereo live-action camera in 3D.
- Using lidar or the measurements and pictures of the live-action set, camera information, distortion grids, and scaling reference of characters and objects to create a virtual set in 3D (Maya).
- Scene layout in Maya.
- Setup the technical and aesthetic approaches of the matchmove work for a shot, sequence, or even an entire aspect of a show.
- Assist Production with bidding and scheduling.
- At times, the Matchmover may be asked to perform Lead Matchmove duties including, providing leadership, guidance and direction to the matchmove team based on the project.
- Expert knowledge of PFTrack, Syntheyes and/or 3Dequalizer,.
- Thorough knowledge and experience with Maya.
- Working knowledge of Nuke.
- Capable of delivering high-quality camera tracking and layouts for both single shots and general environments (multiple camera setups).
- Previous stereoscopic film production experience a plus.
- Knowledge of a tracking software's scripting language is a plus.
- A good eye for detail and ability to work under pressure on potentially short turn around times.
- Able to take direction and feedback well from a lead or supervisor.