Hello internet friend, we are Imgur’s “find wonderful people” team (or “talent acquisition” if you wanna get technical), and we’re on the lookout for an incredible Head of Data. Sound good? Good.
Let us introduce ourselves… we are Imgur. The place where memes are born and selfies get downvoted into oblivion. We have a community of bajilions (this is a somewhat official estimate), who visit everyday and leave with smiles on their faces. A community where anyone can post a picture of their dog’s butt and be internet-famous the very same day, the American Dream is alive and well folks. The magic of the internet.
Imgur’s mission is to lift the world’s spirits and we like to bring that mentality to our work every day. We see it as an honor and a privilege to work on a tech product that genuinely makes people happier.
Or in the much more succinct and professional sounding words of our communications team...
Imgur is the easiest way to discover and enjoy the internet’s most entertaining content. It’s where you’ll find the internet’s funniest, most informative and inspiring images, memes, GIFs, and visual stories. Powered by a passionate community of people from all around the world, we put smiles on the faces of over 250m people around the world each month.
As the Head of Data, you will partner closely with Sales, Marketing, Engineering, Ops and Product to provide visibility into our data, craft narratives, find insights, and provide recommendations. Working closely with these teams, you will transform massive amounts of data into data products and insights that will allow the rest of the company to make better decisions, faster.
- A leader: you are adept at creating a culture of turning data into insights that drive the business.
- An architect: you envision and build tools to democratize data across organizations
- An evangelist: you will work with teams across the company to establish KPIs and apply data science to a wide range of problems.
- Add visibility to the work that the product, marketing, and sales teams do by using data to support their wins, find areas of improvement, and explore the endless possibilities of what we can build
- Build and maintain metrics dashboards and design queries to measure our performance
- Provide objective evaluations post implementation - measure data so we can learn what kind of impact we had with each release
- Work with engineering to define, implement, document, validate, and monitor logging and metrics
- As the arbiter of data truth, you will guide each team through the vast reaches of our data lake to understand what questions we can answer empirically together with data and also iterate through our investigations
- Provide key business insights based on emerging data trends
- Model the impact of product and marketing changes on DAUs, retention, new user acquisition, etc.
- Develop, implement, run statistical analysis, and report on A/B tests that are run by different teams (e.g. Sales, Product, Engineering).
- Investigate anomalous data trends and loop in relevant teams (engineering, sales, marketing) to respond
What you bring to the table:
- 2+ years leading data efforts in a consumer-focused quantitative role with an understanding of mobile products
- Strong experience with consumer metrics such as new user acquisition, customer acquisition cost, MAU/DAU, user retention, and churn.
- Experience with user-behavioral drivers of product performance at a deep level
- Expertise in relational databases and SQL query languages
- Coding ability, particularly with Python. Experience with Hadoop or other big data technologies is a plus.
- Familiarity with BI tools and dashboards, etc
- Experience finding actionable insights with analytics tools such as Google Analytics, MixPanel, Looker, Tableau, Amplitude and Facebook Analytics
- Deep curiosity, excellent communication skills, next level organizational abilities and intense smarts.
- Experience with developing, implementing, and reporting on A/B tests
- Competitive salary, fully covered medical/dental/vision
- 401k matching
- Flexible PTO per year
- Wellness stipend
- Commuter/parking benefits
- Opportunity to work on the world’s largest image sharing community!
- Dogs in the office
- Work from home Wednesdays!
- Work the way that works for you! Work in the office or remote.
Above all: As we grow, so will you. Interested? Click apply and let’s begin the journey together. Note: if you don't meet these requirements we are still open to hearing from you.