The Character Designer is responsible for exploring all options when creating the look, feel, personality, and appeal of a character. Working with the director, production designer and story team, the character designer creates the look that tells a story.
- High school diploma or equivalent; bachelor's degree from an art school preferred
- Professional portfolio
- Previous experience on an animated feature film, tv or game preferred
- Ability to tell a story through your characters and work with a team
- Ability to translate 2D characters into a 3D environment
- Photoshop knowledge required
The portfolio should consist of a combination of thumbnail drawings and final pieces from your professional experience or academic projects.
Samples should include:
- Solid understanding of the principles of filmmaking and animation, cinematic camera, acting and staging
- Strong storytelling abilities that feature character, emotion, and movement
- Robust draftsmanship and ability to create a variety of styles
- A range of action, comedy, and drama scenes are encouraged
Portfolio and resume are required for review.
Please note that there may not be any positions immediately open, but we are always accepting submissions for potential positions.
PLEASE READ: BY SUBMITTING YOUR MATERIALS YOU AGREE TO THE FOLLOWING:
By submitting my materials, I acknowledge that I have read, understand, and agree to the terms and conditions set forth below (the "Agreement") in connection with my submission of artistic portfolio materials (“Work”) to Sony Pictures Animation, Inc. (“SPA”).
1. I recognize the possibility that the Work may be identical or similar to material already in development at SPA or its affiliates or which has or may come to SPA or its affiliates from other sources.
2. I understand that such identity or similarity has in the past given rise to disagreements and even litigation; therefore, I agree that unless SPA can obtain adequate protection in advance, SPA will refuse to examine the Work. The protection for SPA must be sufficiently broad to protect SPA and all related parties including, without limitation, SPA's employees, agents, representatives, licensees, assigns of SPA and each of SPA's parents and affiliates, and all parties to whom SPA or the aforementioned parties submit material or have been or may be involved in developing, financing or exploiting materials and properties generally. Therefore, all references to "SPA" herein shall include each of the foregoing parties.
3. I release SPA from any and all claims, demands, actions, suits, or the like which I may have in connection with SPA’s use of any materials which are similar or identical to the Work and I agree that I will not assert against SPA any claim based on plagiarism, infringement, confidential relationship, implied contract, unfair competition or for any other reason whatsoever arising out of any alleged use by SPA of the Work. In agreeing to the provisions of this release, I understand that I may be waiving rights with respect to claims that are at this time unknown or unsuspected, and in accordance with such waiver, I hereby acknowledge that I have read and understand, and hereby expressly waive the benefits of Section 1542 of the Civil Code of California, which provides as follows:
“A GENERAL RELEASE DOES NOT EXTEND TO CLAIMS WHICH THE CREDITOR
DOES NOT KNOW OR SUSPECT TO EXIST IN HIS OR HER FAVOR AT THE TIME
OF EXECUTING THE RELEASE, WHICH IF KNOWN BY HIM OR HER MUST HAVE
MATERIALLY AFFECTED HIS OR HER SETTLEMENT WITH THE DEBTOR.”
4. . If, notwithstanding anything stated herein, I should hereafter claim that SPA has used the Work, or any portion thereof, without my consent or authorization, I specifically agree and understand that (a) I must undertake the entire burden of proof of originality and of all other elements necessary to establish SPA’s liability, and agree that my presentation of the Work shall in no event give rise to a presumption or inference of copying, taking, or that anyone at SPA, other than the individual representative to whom I provided the Work, had access to the Work, (b) I will suffer no, and make no claim for, damages in excess of One Thousand Dollars ($1,000) and that such damages shall be my sole remedy and shall be payable only in the event an arbitrator shall find that SPA has wrongfully appropriated the Work from me and (c) such action shall be, and is hereby forever waived and barred, unless duly filed within six (6) months after SPA’s first public release or use of the material that I believe was based, in whole or in part, on the Work, or thirty (30) days after SPA notifies me in writing that SPA denies liability to me, whichever is earlier.
5. This release shall be governed by the applicable laws of the State of California. The parties hereto agree that any and all disputes or controversies between them at any time shall be determined by binding arbitration in accordance with the rule of JAMS before a single neutral arbitrator in Los Angeles, California. All arbitration proceedings shall be closed to the public and confidential and all records relating thereto shall be permanently sealed, except as necessary to obtain court confirmation of the arbitration award. This release contains the full and complete understanding of the parties with respect to the subject matter hereof and supersedes all prior representations and understandings, whether oral or written.
Sony Pictures Entertainment is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, veteran status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, or other protected characteristics.