Our Story, Our Vision
Since 1996, iHerb has continued its mission, built on providing a wide selection of health and wellness products to individuals around the globe at a reasonable cost. iHerb remains vigilant in its pursuit to ensure it maintains an expansive selection of over 30,000 online products to its customers. We are continuously innovating and expanding, committed to bringing the best in healthy products around the world. Our vision is to be the dominant health and wellness brand globally and to provide the best value for natural products.
View our LinkedIn!
The Category Buyer is responsible for selecting, negotiating, procuring, strategically pricing, promoting and developing brands/products in assigned categories. This role is the second step in the buying progression (after Junior Buyer) and is responsible for mid-large volume brands. In addition, the Buyer may also be responsible for hiring, directing, developing, mentoring and overseeing activities of Jr. Buyers.
- Work closely with Category Manager and Sr. Buyer to ensure all are aligned on business strategies, short and long-term growth objectives
- Directly responsible for key category metrics (KPI’s) for the following: new and existing brands, new products, pricing, gross margin, promotions, and product life cycle
- Negotiate with vendors to secure exceptional everyday pricing, promotional dollars, special opportunity buys, rebates, growth incentives, delivery and payment terms
- Administer and manage RFQ packages, execution of contracts, product evaluation, quality issues; create and maintain supplier, product database
- Drive new product/brand onboarding process to ensure timely and quick addition to market
- Build, edit and maintain assortment to create market advantage while reflecting customer needs/requests
- Calculate, maintain and approve critical cost and pricing changes in system to ensure desired mark-ups, margin
- Manage and develop strong vendor relations through regular and consistent communication to ensure a clear understanding of short/long-term goals and capabilities
- Coordinate with Planning Team and Replenishment Buyers in managing inventory turns, service level, order cycles, deal implementation and general supply chain practices
- Create, review and utilize reports to enable in-depth analysis of category successes/challenges
- Develop promotional co-op activities that are profitable and highly effective in conjunction with Marketing
- Solve and respond to customer concerns from Customer Service team
- Comply with company policies and procedures, including safety, business ethics, and standards of conduct
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Successful and proven negotiating skills
- Strong analytical, data management and decision making abilities
- Strong mathematical skills with understanding of retail pricing concepts
- Ability to communicate written and verbally in a professional manner with people at all levels of the organization and external contacts
- Great attention to detail, highly organized with strong project management skills
- Ability to handle multiple tasks, problem solve and prioritize with awareness of deadlines
- Strong computer skills, highly proficient in MS Office: Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- WMS, EDI, NetSuite experience a plus
Generally, requires a minimum of four (4) years of progressive experience in buying or directly related role with equivalent responsibilities, preferably in an e-commerce environment with natural products experience a plus.
Bachelor’s Degree (BS/BA) in Business or related field preferred, or a combination of education and equivalent work experience.