The primary purpose of this position is to lead all engineering activities and establish a culture of process improvement throughout multiple distribution centers. The Senior Industrial Engineer will work cross-functionally with various department to include the Operations teams in an effort to improve efficiency, develop and maintain labor standards, and reduce costs. The Senior Industrial Engineer’s expertise will also be used to develop and implement regional and national projects and strategies.
Distribution Center Design & Implementation
- Assist with the design of distribution facilities, including new facilities, facility retrofits, conveyor changes, and other material handling equipment changes.
- Maintain relationships with key automation vendors.
- Identify and implement design changes that will improve efficiencies, capacity & throughput.
Continuous Improvement & Labor Management
- Develop preferred methods/standard operating procedures for the warehouse in conjunction with operational support.
- Implement and support a labor management program and software configuration.
- Develop and maintain multi-variable labor standards.
- Troubleshoot Labor Management System and interface issues.
- Lead the engineering team to identify, define and implement process improvement opportunities.
- Address all aspects of change, including people, processes, systems, and equipment.
- Introduce and adapt improvement methodologies as appropriate to drive change (ex. Lean or Six Sigma).
- Manages processes, projects and systems in an effort to achieve unit goals in accordance with company policies and practices.
- Prepare and analyze unit plans and reports.
- Create an effective work environment by developing a common vision, setting clear objectives, expecting teamwork, recognizing outstanding performance and maintaining open communications.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Analytical, planning and organizing, sound judgment, decision making and leadership skills required.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work as part of a team and interact effectively with others.
- Lean/Six Sigma certification desired.
- Ability to analyze and provide solutions for cost reduction through process improvements and cost/benefit analysis.
- Capable of designing and recommending department layouts and product flows in the distribution center.
- Able to identify operational bottlenecks and develop, analyze and present cost efficient solutions.
- Experience in serving as technical expert on specialized projects or programs; act as advisor to management and/or customers.
- Effective at providing guidance to distribution and logistics related to effective and efficient use of assets and processes.
- Experience in identifying capacity impacts to distribution centers associated with varying parameters within the supply chain.
- Experience in developing preferred methods/Standard Operating Procedures.
- Proficient at utilizing labor data to cost justify capital expenditure and process change ROI.
- Skillful at using labor and material cost data to compare and recommend process change and communicate accurate process costs to senior management.
- Able to conduct ergonomic evaluations, recommending and implementing improvements to work area designs.
- Has the ability to take ideas from concept to implementation and can influence decision making with all stake-holders.
- Possess superior multi-tasking ability to meet concurrent project deadlines.
- Ability to drive process improvements and work within a team to resolve problems.
- Highly organized with the ability to manage multiple and concurrent priorities.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, professional attitude and approach (and the ability to interact with individuals at various levels of the organization, up and down).
- Proven project management / leadership skills.
- Experience with work measurement & performance management programs, conveyor design and optimization, large project management, and warehouse systems.
- Experience with labor reporting systems.
- Experience with time & motion data collection software and standard deviation techniques.
- Advanced working knowledge of Microsoft Office products with an emphasis in Excel and Access.
- Expertise in maintaining & troubleshooting conveyor systems (e.g. sensors & controls); Bastian WCS desired.
Generally requires a minimum of five (5) plus years of experience as an engineer in retail and/or e-commerce distribution. Lean/Six Sigma certification desired.
Bachelor's degree in Industrial or Mechanical engineering or related field preferred, or a combination of education and equivalent work experience. Master’s degree a plus.
Please Note: At this time we are not offering any employer-sponsored work authorization.
iHerb Inc. is a leading online retailer of nutritional supplement and wellness products (vitamins, minerals, herbs, botanicals, bath and beauty, pet care, sports nutrition and children's health). Via its e-Commerce website, iHerb. com delivers 35,000 products from over 1,500 brands direct to the customer in more than 180 countries. iHerb carries trusted brands customers love around the world.
iHerb's growth has been recognized by Internet Retailer as a top 500 e-Commerce provider in North America and recently as a top 300 mobile commerce business in the world. In 2013 Google bestowed iHerb with its Google Trusted Store designation having shipped over 1,000,000 orders to customers in the US market with a 98% on-time shipping and a 99. 9% issue free orders