Founded in 1982, iDE is a global effort that spans offices in 14 countries, encompassing 4 social enterprises, employing over 1,000 people directly, and indirectly enabling many more through our market-based approaches in agriculture; water; sanitation; hygiene; and finance. iDE leverages the power of business to fight poverty around the world. We understand that our customers – small scale farmers – are entrepreneurs in their own rights and that our approach offers them a chance to use technologies and services that we promote, to create significant additional income.
- Poor women and men have the right to a secure livelihood.
- Markets are the most powerful force for significant, widespread and lasting impact on rural prosperity.
- The rural poor are customers, producers, and entrepreneurs.
- We listen to and learn from the people we work with.
- We value innovation and entrepreneurship.
- We are results-oriented, aiming for significant impacts for large numbers of people.
- We strive for economic, social, and environmental equity and sustainability.
The Regional Finance Manager serves as the Finance lead and focal point for a portfolio of international country programs – for purposes of finance support, analysis and daily oversight to ensure that the accounting records are complete, accurate and comply with generally accepted accounting principles. The Manager directs others in developing, accounting processes, controls, budgets, reporting and overall sound financial management.
S/he is responsible for supporting the capacity building efforts of country office finance teams, providing oversight of country offices, ensuring compliance with local laws, regulations, iDE and donor policies and procedures including quality and timely internal and external reporting, consolidating and monitoring regional activities, performing quality financial management analysis for decision support and providing gap filling for key finance positions in country offices. S/he will proactively work with the Vice President, Finance, HQ Operations Department and HQ management and staff on key issues and opportunities and implement solutions at the country office level.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Management and Financial Accounting, Reporting, Internal Control and Compliance:
- Ensures timely, reliable, complete and accurate financial reports are presented at both the country and consolidated levels. Coordinates with country Finance Directors to ensure:
- General ledger accounts are analyzed, reconciled and reviewed monthly and proper action is taken to provide guidance on corrective action.
- GAAP is followed
- Leads the country finance teams in improving and maintaining strong financial controls.
- Monitors fund transfers by evaluating financial activities and forecasts against budgetary controls and available funds.
- Provides ongoing financial oversight and feedback to Country Finance Directors/Managers to improve effectiveness in financial management. Performs comprehensive reviews of Country Office financial reports to include performance analysis in the following areas: balance sheet, income statement, cash, grants/contracts, unrestricted and general contributions, actual expenses vs. budget, forecasting and budgeting, adequacy of adherence to generally accepted accounting principles, donor requirements and iDE financial procedures.
- Supports the Country Offices in cash management, budgeting and forecasting, policies and procedures, responses to audit findings and trouble shooting in finance and accounting
- Provide assistance to Country Offices in the preparation of their operational and donor budget and forecasting.
- Provides policy clarifications and assistance to the Country Offices in understanding and complying with iDE and donor policy and procedures including awards and contracts.
- Provides support to country offices to ensure that all financial records and backup documentation are properly archived and readily available for audits.
- Reviews donor financial reports prior to submission or further review and approval by HQ
- Ensures Country Offices provide monthly and annual financial data for review and consolidation and analysis, including budgets and forecasting data.
- Oversees month end closing and manage the distribution of budget variance analysis for country programs
- Ensures Country Offices are in compliance with local government, Tax Law and tax reporting requirements.
Capacity Building and Staff Development
- With guidance from the VP Finance, assists Country Offices with staff capacity assessment and capacity building in accounting and financial management to address skills gaps and meet performance standards.
- In coordination with HQ management, develops training materials and quick reference guides where necessary and conduct tailored training programs for Country Office finance staff.
- Supports the orientation for new country finance staff on iDE policies and systems.
- Ensures all Country Offices have updated copies of the iDE finance policies and procedures and help Country Offices develop and implement local policies and procedures that conform to best practice financial management principles.
- In coordination with the VP, Finance, provides technical input into the recruitment and selection of Country Finance Directors.
- Support management at HQ in talent review and management initiatives to develop and retain skilled country office finance staff.
- Oversees the day to day performance of the Country Finance Directors/Managers, ensuring that they complete all necessary work to an appropriate standard, encouraging their own personal development and dealing with any performance issues as required and participates in staff annual performance evaluation.
Policy Development, Coordination and Audit Support
- Provides oversight of country level external audits:
- Conducts thorough pre-external audit review and analysis of annual financials and identifies adjustments needed,
- Collaborates with Country Finance Directors/Managers in providing items needed from HQ during their external audit fieldworks,
- Reviews draft audit reports.
- Ensures audit management comments are properly cited and addressed
- Provides SunSystems application support when needed. Works with the HQ IT staff, the Systems Administrator in HQ and the global SunSystems support group to ensure high-level and country-specific system problems are quickly resolved to minimize disruption of normal operations in the Country Finance departments.
- Functions as key point of contact in HQ on financial issues related to the country portfolio and contribute to the smooth workflow between Country Program and HQ finance teams.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Performs and documents complex financial analyses.
- Assists in assuring internal control procedures are followed.
- Assists with the iDE-wide annual budget and external audit processes.
- Contributes to the HQ Finance department’s periodic planning process by representing the assigned portfolio countries to ensure agreed global objectives address issues at the Country Program level.
- Contributes to the formulation and updating of HQ financial policies and procedures.
- Performs other duties as requested.
This position has “dotted line” supervisory responsibility for the country-level Finance teams of the portfolio of international country program the role is responsible for.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting,
- A minimum of 6 years’ experience in a lead position and 5 years with international non–profit agencies. US government, UK, Canada, Australia, Sweden and other donor funded grants financial and administrative management experience preferred;
- Proficient with email and MS Office applications, especially Excel,
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, especially on the telephone, and be able to work effectively in a multicultural team environment,
- Analytic and detail-oriented, with good organizational skills.
- Self-motivated, with high initiative and able to work with minimal supervision
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, multi-tasked environment with firm deadlines. Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a commitment to iDE’s mission; proactive, hands-on and confident communicator who will work with finance colleagues across the global organization.
- A track record in grants management as it relates to compliance and reporting of government, corporate and foundations grants.
- Excellent financial and analytical skills
- Excellent communication and drafting skills for effective reporting on program financial performance;
- Ability to demonstrate leadership;
- Ability to operate in a cross-cultural environment requiring flexibility;
- Detail-oriented and able to work independently;
- Experience with SunSystems or other advanced, multi-currency, multi-business unit, cloud-based accounting solutions;
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills; experience in effectively communicating key data, including presentations. Fluency in English required - ability to communicate in Portuguese, French, or Bengali a strong asset.
LANGUAGE/MATHEMATICAL AND REASONING SKILLS
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public. Ability to read, analyze, and interpret financial reports.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
- Certified Public Accountant, CA, ACCA or equivalent is preferred
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stand and walk. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Travel: Travel to both international and domestic areas with minimum physical comforts may be required; a valid passport is required at all times. Travel immunization may be required and will vary based on travel location(s).
- Work Hours/ Shifts: Office work hours are Monday through Friday 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. local time. However, communication with international staff frequently requires availability outside of normal work hours. Work is performed primarily in an open office environment, but may be performed remotely with VP Finance approval.