Title: Global Business Development Associate
Department: Global Business Development
Supervisor: Director, Business Development
Start Date: June - August 2020 (TBD)
Location: HQ (Denver, Colorado USA)
At iDE, we find entrepreneurs everywhere in Asia, Africa, and Latin America. Through social enterprises, small business owners, farmers, and multinational businesses, we create opportunity for some of the poorest people on the planet. As a leader in market based development, we believe in the power of business to fight poverty. We are proud of our successes to date which include reaching over 34.2 million people so far in the developing world with products or services that increase incomes and improve lives. Water pumps, drip irrigation kits, improved seeds, and other agricultural inputs have enabled millions of rural farmers to produce more and build their businesses. We have facilitated the sales of nearly one million water filters and latrines, creating tremendous health and livelihood benefits. We continue to expand our impact, focused since 2015 on reaching a total of 40 million people—20 million more than when we started in 1982—in a fraction of the time. We’re also building social enterprises that are sustainable and always exploring new products and services through our human-centered design process.
iDE’s Global Business Development (GBD) Department facilitates smart growth that builds country programs and drives smart implementation that ensures iDE's mission is achieved. GBD leads in securing funding to grow the organization as a whole. Specifically, GBD leads efforts to secure funds from bilateral government development agencies and multilateral development agencies. Additionally, GBD supports and/or leads proposals to foundations and corporate partners. GBD builds relationships with key donors and partners, coordinates proposal processes including facilitating the design of new programs, and supports the dissemination of project information throughout the organization.
iDE is a global development organization with a mission to create income and livelihood opportunities for poor rural households. iDE was founded in 1982 and has played a pivotal role in developing social enterprises and market-based approaches. iDE invests in entrepreneurs, creates social enterprises, and provides solutions to solve some of the world’s toughest problems, primarily in agriculture and WASH. Our headquarters is in Denver, CO and we implement across 10 countries in Africa, Asia, and Central America.
What we are looking for
We are looking for someone aligned with iDE’s ethos. Someone who is a creative and engaged team player. Someone who is detail oriented and can see proposals through from the design stage through submission. We need a skilled communicator able to interact cross-culturally as well as across multiple departments. S/he should be an organized go-getter and quick learner.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Serve as the primary point of contact for several country offices regarding all funding opportunities in each country’s pipeline, including:
- Track, review, summarize, and circulate new funding opportunities.
- Update Salesforce regularly to ensure accurate and reliable information.
- Maintain regular communication channels with country teams.
- Play various proposal roles, including:
- Coordinate proposals, including guiding proposal processes with a commitment to quality, managing adherence to internal deadlines, facilitating proposal kick off meetings across multiple time zones, ensuring proposal role assignments are clear, keeping proposal teams updated appropriately. coordinating with partners, and interacting with donors as needed.
- Facilitate budget reviews.
- Contribute written inputs to proposals, including preparing CVs and past performance references.
- Facilitate project design, preparation of log frames, proposal budgets, etc.
- Edit and format.
- Provide strategic pre-positioning support, including:
- Conduct donor deep dives.
- Conduct partner/competitor landscape analyses for specific bids.
- Provide strategic pre-bid research.
- Support with developing presentations and written materials that highlight iDE’s relevant experience and strengths.
- Support with various communication and knowledge management needs, including:
- Support with development of country office or global communication materials, including capability statements, past performance references, and presentations.
- Improve easy access to proposal, project, and administrative boilerplate information for country and HQ staff.
- Support collection of farmer success stories in the field.
- Translate documents (if applicable)
- Fluent in English. Fluency in foreign language a plus (Spanish, Portuguese, Khmer, Nepali, Vietnamese, Bengali).
- Excellent writing, editing and formatting skills. Grant-writing experience preferred.
- Project design experience and understanding of monitoring and evaluation preferred.
- Experience designing project budgets preferred.
- BA in international development, business, engineering, social sciences, agriculture, or a related field, or equivalent experience. MA degree a plus.
- 1-6 years of relevant experience.
- Skilled in MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Google Suite.
- Self-motivated and able to work with minimal guidance.
- Highly organized and capable of multitasking.
- Experience working in fast-paced environments.
- Ability to consistently meet deadlines.
- Excellent problem-solving skills.
- Can-do attitude and flexibility.
- Skilled facilitator with excellent verbal, intercultural and interpersonal communication skills.
- Strong team skills and ability to work collaboratively with culturally diverse team members in a multilingual environment.
- Enthusiastic with a sincere interest in the goals of the organization.
- Experience living and/working overseas in a developing country is preferred.
- A valid passport is required at all times.
- The role may require field travel and will involve some work on evenings and weekends.