Title Financial Accountant
Responsible to Controller (based in Denver, Colorado, USA)
Location 100% remote / offsite (no physical office location)
Employment Basis Permanent (on completion of a 6-month probationary period)
Hours Part time, approximately 20 hours/week
Salary £16.50 - £19.30 per hour
Depending on experience and salary history
iDE (www.ideglobal.org) is an international NGO with a mission to create income and livelihood opportunities for the rural poor in Africa, Asia and Latin America.
For over 35 years iDE has pioneered a market-based approach delivering products and services to increase incomes and improve livelihoods of the rural poor. iDE has reached over 29 million people with innovative products and services, and plans to increase that to 40 million more by the end of 2020.
iDE UK is the European entity of iDE Global. iDE UK has already reached 1 million people over the past 10 years with a goal to significantly impact the incomes and livelihoods of a further four million rural households by 2020. We are currently rapidly scaling up our programmes to achieve this goal with the recent launch of major new initiatives in Africa and Asia.
About the role
iDE UK is seeking a Financial Accountant to join our small team as Financial Accountant to take responsibility for daily financial management. This is an excellent opportunity to contribute to the growth of an international charity.
The role will support both the Global Finance function and the Operations team. Finance aspects of the role include accounting, reconciliations, and banking, while also directly assisting with financial reporting requirements on project grants and contributions. The role of Financial Accountant reports to the Controller based in our Denver HQ, and works with iDE UK staff members to ensure iDE can achieve its objectives resourcefully and effectively.
The role requires experience in day-to-day accounting, managing standard UK compliance requirements including VAT and audit, and project accounting experience. Ideally candidates will have experience within the grants management and charity sector, and will be expected to work with the SUN financial management system.
This is a fantastic opportunity to work with a friendly, purposeful and entrepreneurial international development charity, with a scope of work essential to allowing our technical team achieve their goals without distraction.
Finance responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- maintaining accurate records of income and expenditure;
- regularly maintaining, updating and tracking financial information on the SUN financial system;
- managing recording and reporting requirements for grants and per key donor requirements;
- working closely with the Controller on financial and administrative matters;
- preparing end of year accounts for the auditors;
- preparing and maintaining the annual board approved budget;
- preparing budget vs actual reports, board reports, and other ad hoc financial reports as needed;
- managing general banking operations, including day-to-day banking, deposits, payment of office costs, employee expense reimbursements, corporate credit card, and preparing current reconciliations;
- being responsible for iDE UK’s monthly payroll, including submission of payroll data to external payroll provider, direct deposits into iDE UK’s banking system and remittance of withholdings; and
- processing fund transfers to Country Offices on a timely basis.
- general and project accounting;
- managing banking requirements, including electronic transactions, bank reconciliations and corporate credit card management;
- gathering information essential for the annual external audit and project specific audits;
- managing a small office and overseeing administrative functions;
- grant and funds management;
- ability to work independently, to agreed and sometimes tight deadlines;
- excellent oral and written communication skills, and the ability to present complex information electronically and in person;
- strong organisational skills, attention to detail, and the ability to prioritise;
- ability to represent the organisation externally, and interface with staff, trustees, and donors;
- self-starter with ability to work independently and collaboratively; and
- candidates must have proof of the right to work in the UK.
- previous experience working in a small charity environment;
- proven success working with an international development charity;
- working with SUN accounting system in a charity environment;
- reporting to Companies House and Charities Commission; and
- working in an international environment.
Please send your CV with a covering letter outlining the following:
- How you heard about the position;
- Why you are interested in working with iDE UK;
- What makes you suitable for this role.