Who We Are
Hometap’s mission is to make homeownership less stressful and more accessible. We leverage sophisticated data science and analytics to build products that allow homeowners to tap into the built-up equity value of their home without taking on more debt, monthly obligations, or interest payments. Homeowners use our capital to do the big-ticket stuff that makes life better: start a business, renovate their home, get out from under crippling debt, or pay tuition.
Hometap makes investments in residential homes, buying a small equity stake against the home’s future value. For many homeowners, this is a simplified, sensible alternative to mortgage debt and monthly payments. For investors, this is an opportunity to earn appropriate risk adjusted return in an asset class that has unique characteristics relative to other investment alternatives.
Hometap is led by a team known for creating successful, customer-first businesses. Backed by top-tier investors, the Hometap team has built, run, and created some of the fastest growing companies in the US. Our team of outstanding professionals is focused on performance, thought leadership, innovation, and the power of ideas that come from a diverse and inclusive workforce.
Hometap is growing rapidly and the intersection of legal matters and business decisions is a critical part of our business. We are looking for a General Counsel to join our dynamic leadership team. This executive role will report directly to the CEO and play a major role in our business. This is an exciting opportunity for the right candidate to make an enormous impact on our Company as the business expands, helping us improve the speed and quality of critical business decisions.
Who You Are
To be successful in this role you’ll need to have legal and business expertise, but also bring a passion and understanding for entrepreneurship. You’ll need to be a high character individual with a high level of integrity. You will be a person who is good at execution, works well within a team and has the ability and confidence to take the lead and guide others. You will be skilled at assessing and providing organized legal guidance on short timelines and then helping to execute selected business decisions. As we build a brand and new product in a nascent space, as General Counsel you will need to love problem solving in an uncertain environment.
As General Counsel you will oversee all strategic and tactical legal initiatives for Hometap. As part of the executive team, you will provide effective advice on company strategies and their implementation, manage the legal function, and obtain and oversee the work of outside counsel. To be successful, you’ll need to help us build a legal strategy that balances our business needs with our legal and ethical responsibilities.
At Hometap, the legal function consists of three distinct categories for which you will be directly responsible.
- Regulatory Matters: As a new product in the consumer home financing space, Hometap must be aware of, and compliant with all applicable, federal, state, and local consumer finance and protection laws. You will help Hometap form a legal position and compliance strategy related to applicable laws and regulations, ensuring that we accomplish our business needs inclusive of our legal obligations. You’ll help us craft the documents that homeowners execute to enter into a Hometap investment, build an efficient and compliant investment process, implement a long-term state by state rollout strategy, assess new product opportunities, and develop an ongoing regulatory position and framework for the Company.
- Fundraising: Hometap plans to raise capital for both the operating company, and separate investment funds which underwrite and execute the Hometap investments with homeowners. You will be responsible for the legal and compliance components of those fundraising efforts, including fund formation, documentation, compliance, etc.
- General Corporate: You will help with all the general corporate legal matters at Hometap. Examples include vendor contracts and contractor agreements, NDA’s, employee agreements, equity grants, employee handbook matters, compliance documentation, etc.
As such, your responsibilities will include:
- Leading the overall legal strategy and risk assessment for the Company.
- Developing the legal processes, procedures and infrastructure necessary to help Hometap scale into a much larger company.
- Interfacing with other executive leadership and the Board of Directors to provide legal and strategic advice across a wide range of business and legal matters.
- Structuring, drafting, and negotiating commercial agreements.
- Working with business partners to drive appropriate review and approval processes.
- Overseeing intellectual property matters and development and maintenance of the Company’s patent and trademark portfolio.
- Partnering with the executive team on corporate governance matters, including matters related to the Board, shareholders, auditors, and regulators.
- Tracking and analyzing legislative, business and regulatory issues relating to Company operations, contractual obligations, and compliance programs.
- Advising on legal aspects of the Company’s financing activities.
- Managing the company’s corporate insurance program (property, casualty, D&O, etc.)
- Developing and implementing an overall corporate risk/compliance program.
- Overseeing the management and retention of outside counsel.
- Driving legal processes to control and streamline legal review, documents, approvals and record keeping.
- Counseling management on employment and HR matters.
What You Bring
- Significant experience in at least two of the three major categories listed above
- J.D. degree from a school of law accredited by the American Bar Association
- Admission to the Bar and experience practicing law in Massachusetts and other states
- Significant experience in a law firm environment, and at least 5+ years legal practice experience as internal counsel working in emerging growth companies.
- Extensive knowledge of federal and state regulatory and consumer financial services laws and regulations.
- Entrepreneurial mindset
- Analytical problem-solving skills
- Strong communication and organization skills
- Direct experience in the consumer home financing or related space is a major plus
Our Team & Culture
At Hometap, we pride ourselves on being Owners -- of our jobs, our output, our careers -- and Good Neighbors -- we believe helping each other means helping the Company, homeowners, and investors succeed.
Equally important to your skill set is the way you fit within our team and business. We are looking for a creative thinker who looks for opportunities within challenges, rolls up his or her sleeves to get things done, values collaboration and communication, and embraces the Homeowner-first mentality. Critical to our mission is being thoughtful in everything we build. If you’re someone who embraces this builder mentality, you’ll be right at home here.