Who we are
At Hometap, we believe you can have a house and a life. Our vision is to enable homeowners to access their home's equity - free of debt - to do the big-ticket stuff that makes life better: start a business, buy a second home, get out from under crippling debt, or pay for college tuition.
We make investments alongside homeowners today in exchange for a share of the future value of the home. For homeowners, this is a simplified, sensible alternative to mortgage debt and monthly payments. For investors, this is a new asset class, allowing them to participate in the multi-trillion-dollar residential real estate market without the obligations and downsides of homeownership.
What you’ll do
Reporting directly to the Chief Legal Officer, you will serve as primary counsel and subject matter expert on all regulatory matters. You will be responsible for not only legal research and analysis but also practical implementation, working closely with Hometap’s product, sales and operations teams to ensure our offerings remain compliant with federal and state law. You will devise strategic solutions that proactively manage legal risk and drive value for the business while advancing our mission to make homeownership more accessible and less stressful. As Regulatory & Product Counsel, you will have the opportunity to develop new precedents for cutting edge legal issues at the intersection of finance and real estate and influence Hometap’s growth and development of new products and services.
Who you are
This role requires someone capable not just of exceptional legal analysis but who also possesses the creativity, business acumen and entrepreneurial mindset to translate that legal analysis into real solutions for Hometap and its customers. The ideal candidate will be comfortable pivoting quickly from deep regulatory research to real time responses to time sensitive questions all in the course of an afternoon.
In this role, you will:
- Conduct statutory and case law research on complex legal issues relating to federal and state laws, rules and regulations to inform expansion of existing products and development of new products.
- Develop internal policies and procedures to ensure compliance with federal and state regulatory and compliance frameworks.
- Engage directly with key external and internal stakeholders ranging from outside counsel and regulators to Hometap’s product, sales, marketing, finance and operations teams.
- Stay up to date on developments in the real estate and financial services industries, including regulatory and business changes that may affect Hometap’s products.
- Partner with cross-functional teams to refine existing products and launch new offerings.
- Work closely with the sales and operations teams to address issues and concerns with individual homeowner scenarios and investments.
- Support the legal team across non-regulatory legal work ranging from capital raises to negotiation of key vendor and partner contracts.
What you bring:
- 5+ years experience dealing with complex federal and state regulatory frameworks at a financial services company, top tier law firm and/or relevant government agency.
- Superior communication skills. You should be comfortable engaging with top management, external counsel and regulators on topics critical to Hometap's success.
- Exemplary personal and professional integrity and business ethics.
- Commitment to diversity and a respect for others.
- Experience dealing with residential real estate and mortgages.
- In-house experience at a company offering services or products to consumers.
- Understanding of state licensing requirements and experience with regulatory inquiries and examinations.
Our Team & Culture
At Hometap, we pride ourselves on being Owners -- of our jobs, our output, our careers -- and Good Neighbors -- we believe helping each other means helping the company, homeowners, and investors succeed.
Equally important to your skill set is the way you fit within our team and business. We are looking for a creative thinker who looks for opportunities within challenges, rolls up their sleeves to get things done, values collaboration and communication, and embraces the Homeowner-first mentality. Critical to our mission is being thoughtful in everything we build. If you’re someone who embraces this builder mentality, you’ll be right at home here.