The Growers technology platform collects and structures user-generated, environmental, business-related, and machine-generated agricultural data. These data power agile creation, and simple execution of precise planting, fertilization, and crop protection plans that aim to optimize resource use and mitigate the farmer’s financial risk. Headquartered in Durham, North Carolina, Growers employs a team of data scientists, engineers, developers, business people, and agronomists, serving a rapidly growing customer base across the U.S. Growers is a wholly-owned subsidiary of ICL (NYSE: ICL) (TASE: ICL), a leading global specialty minerals and specialty chemicals company. The company employs over 11,000 people worldwide, and its 2019 revenues totaled approximately $5.3 billion
● As the Senior Data Architect, you will be part of the founding engineering team in Raleigh and will collaborate closely with the VP of Engineering as a peer.
● You will bring your expertise, experience, and vision for building cutting edge flexible and scalable data infrastructure to accelerate the growth and development of our technology products.
● You will be a self-starter who thrives on solving hard problems.
● You will have a passion for learning new technologies and industries and enjoy collaborating across teams to bring to market scalable industry-changing products.
● We expect humility and the drive to learn about the customers and the unique industry our products serve, integrating this background into your approach to building development processes and prioritization.
● You will leverage your experience and knowledge of cutting-edge technology to architect and drive the completion of complex features, data pipelines, and data warehouses from start to finish (meaning code pushed to production)
● You will evaluate current data infrastructure and recommend migrations, architectural optimizations, and net new solutions as necessary to support present and future products
● You will collaborate closely with the business counterparts to understand business needs and priorities.
● You will articulate and make intelligent trade-offs between multiple possible engineering solutions, and to ensure a common understanding of development status
● You will work closely with customer-facing employees to deeply understand agriculture in practice vs. theory
● You will develop the engineering team best practices and processes
● You will prioritize tasks, anticipate challenges and obstacles, and exhibit strong leadership and communication skills
What You Need to Be Qualified for this Role:
● 7+ years of professional experience with data architecture and administration
● Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field
● Expertise with relational database design and structured query language (SQL)
● Ability to define a backup, archiving, and disaster recovery strategy
● Expertise with tools and frameworks enabling large scale data analysis (e.g. Spark) and advanced programming skills in commonly used languages for analysis (e.g. python, R)
● Significant experience building, or meaningfully expanding, the capabilities of complex, scalable, reliable transactional databases and data pipelines within the AWS ecosystem
● Familiarity with AWS data services including Lake Formation, Data Pipeline, Athena, and Redshift
● Ability to communicate well and work directly with customers
● Desire to work in a small agile team and participate in cross-functional collaboration
What Will Set You Apart:
● Master's degree or Ph.D. in Computer Science or related field
● Experience efficiently managing large volumes of geospatial and remotely sensed data (backend management)
● Understanding of geospatial data types (vector and raster data)
● Familiarity with ML concepts and tooling including TensorFlow and SageMaker
● Experience with GIS tooling, including PostGIS, ArcGIS, and ESRI
● Experience with Cloud Orchestration technologies such as Terraform, CloudFormation, and CDK