Since its founding in 2004, GreenLight has worked at the intersection of social innovation and community need. GreenLight focuses on identifying the most urgent barriers to economic mobility for low-income residents in our communities and addressing them by selecting and bringing in the country’s best social innovations that have proven impact. We do this by running a process in our communities that bring together key local leaders to:
- Identify critical needs
- Find and bring into the community innovative, entrepreneurial social programs that can have a significant, measurable impact addressing those needs and
- Galvanize local support to help programs reach and sustain impact in the new city.
We run this selection and importation process in our eight sites: Atlanta, Boston, San Francisco Bay Area, Philadelphia, Cincinnati, Detroit, Charlotte and Kansas City. Collectively, portfolio organizations across our sites are reaching more than 75,000
individuals annually with proven, life-changing programs. This number is growing exponentially as we add new sites and new portfolio organizations across our sites.
We are seeking an entrepreneurial, organized and research-focused Associate who works independently and has a passion for equity and economic mobility for under-resourced communities in Kansas City. The Associate must thrive in start-up culture, be energized to build value from the ground-up, learn quickly and communicate well. Must bring personality and perspective to work on complex issues while also being a great teammate. Attention to detail and database management is critical for success in this role.
The Associate will lead and support a diverse array of activities, ranging from research and due diligence on key local issues and nonprofit organizations to event management and strategic communications. This position will report to the Executive Director of GreenLight Fund Kansas City, and work collaboratively across the GreenLight Fund national network of sites.
Research and Due Diligence
- Research current, relevant Kansas City issues and priorities among low-income families
- Perform local landscape analysis including research, data evaluation and attending meetings with relevant local leaders with Executive Director
- Conduct due diligence on prospective 501(c)(3) portfolio organizations, including financial analysis and impact assessments
- Record, synthesize and produce reports and briefs based on analysis
- Conduct broad research on trends and national context of nonprofits and social innovation
- Use principles of design thinking and equity design to understand community needs and build equitable processes
- Maintain internal management, data and reporting systems (Experience with Salesforce and Box is a plus, but not required)
Communications and Fundraising
- Support stakeholder outreach, donor cultivation, engagement and stewardship
- Conduct prospect research on potential Charlotte donors, including individuals, corporations and foundations
- Lead planning and execution of annual fundraising event, showcasing our newest portfolio organization and impact
- Assist in writing grant proposals, requests, reports and end of year asks
- Create a communications plan and execute plan across all channels (MailChimp, Facebook, Twitter)
- Maintain Salesforce database
Operations and Administration
- Prepare agenda and presentation materials for advisory council meetings
- Establish local office and related operations, including site expenses
- Work across national sites to identify effective internal practices to implement locally
- Assist with scheduling and follow-up of key meetings and site visits
- Recruit and oversee interns and fellows, as needed
Culture and More
- Share additional talents and input for continuous improvement
- Help create norms, standards and brand locally
- Articulates and applies historical context of racism and understands the current reality of communities of color in order to support racial equity
- Actively demonstrates a commitment to supporting equity and inclusion and serves as an advocate with colleagues, partners and communities.
- Identify other personal growth areas to integrate with the role
- Travel to 2 national meetings per year (hosted by a GreenLight site) and approx. three site visits per year (The meetings and site visit locations vary across the U.S.)
- Bring joy to your work and the team, along with a passion for investing in change Kansas City
- Two years of experience working in Kansas City’s communities in nonprofit/social justice field preferred
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience preferred
- A deep commitment to improving the lives of residents and an understanding of urban issues facing low-income communities
- Outstanding research, writing and communication skills
- Experience using CRM databases (e.g. Salesforce) and Microsoft Excel
- Willingness to quickly learn and analyze new information
- Ability to take initiative and think creatively
- Flexibility, humor and a passion for GreenLight’s mission and the Kansas City community
Please submit a resume and thoughtful cover letter, outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position and stating how you heard about this opportunity, as two PDF attachments titled “Last Name_First Name”, addressed to Sarah Haberberger, Kansas City Executive Director
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. GreenLight Fund offers a competitive salary and benefits, commensurate with experience and skills.
GreenLight Fund is committed to fostering diversity, equity, and inclusion at every level of the organization. GreenLight Fund recognizes and appreciates the value of building a diverse workforce
and creating an inclusive work environment. GreenLight Fund takes pride in being an equal opportunity employer regardless of age, ethnicity, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic
information, marital status, national or ethnic origin, physical or mental ability, race, religion, sexual orientation or veteran status.
If you need assistance or accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com.