Swiftly is changing transportation, mobility, and cities through better data. We built the industry’s first big-data platform which helps public transit agencies improve operational performance, service reliability, and real-time passenger information. Over 40 transit agencies now use the Swiftly platform and our work impacts millions of people.
Swiftly deals with a huge amount of data. In fact, we collect and analyze many terabytes of data for large cities. We are looking for an engineer who thrives in handling large volumes of data and who can work with our team to scale our infrastructure to support a very large number of transit agencies around the world. With high-volume data already pouring in, this role requires experience with critical production systems. But, as a nimble, fast-growing team, we’re in need of an engaged and proactive learner who loves finding and evaluating new tools and procedures.
The day-to-day work involves solving many interesting problems, including helping cities and transit agencies find meaningful and actionable insights out of very large, disparate datasets. This is an ideal position for someone interested in meaningful work and who feels passionate about improving the way people transport themselves in cities.
- Own performance, reliability, and scalability as the steward of Swiftly’s big data infrastructure.
- Analyze and optimize configurations of all systems (memory, network, load balancing, etc).
- Design for and monitor impeccable uptime, and have robust systems in place for disaster recovery (even though systems shall never fail!).
- Build defensive, highly secure infrastructure that protects against existing and future forms of threats,
- Automate everything - from scripting tasks to deploying system notifications,
- Monitor our systems to ensure they are always healthy and up to date.
- Manage software updates, Linux administration, DNS, networks, and certs.
Our ideal candidate will have 3+ years of experience managing complex systems at scale, and will excel at:
- Developing and maintaining services on AWS
- Supporting our current tools and services: PostgreSQL, Tomcat, Linux, and Java
- Evolving systems that are scalable and handle many Terabytes of queryable data
- Performance tuning and query optimization, especially for large database queries on PostgreSQL
- Ingesting large volumes of data into systems
- Scripting of tasks using shell scripts and/or Python
- Exploring and introducing other useful services and processing techniques
- Communicating technical issues and reasoning behind architectural changes
- Being proactive, both in building reliable systems and also in fixing issues should they arise
- Investing in meaningful work and feeling passionate about improving the way cities move
To apply, please send your resume (or LinkedIn profile export) and a cover letter on why you are the right person for this role at Swiftly. Applications without a cover letter will be rejected.
We are an equal opportunity employer - we are committed to a workplace that is as dynamic, diverse, and passionate as the communities we serve.