Swiftly is changing transportation, mobility, and cities through better data. We built the industry’s first big-data platform which helps public transit agencies improve operational performance, service reliability, and real-time passenger information. Over 40 transit agencies now use the Swiftly platform and our work impacts millions of people.
The Swiftly Engineering team builds dynamic, scalable systems that transit agencies around the world rely on. We write reliable, testable, and well-documented code, allowing client-side applications to leverage and present terabytes of data with ease.
As a Java Engineer, you will be a critical contributor to our backend systems. Working with an immense amount of data, you will be responsible for configuring new systems, maintaining and optimizing our algorithms, and automating everything you can.
● Writing Java software that is reliable and performs well
● Creating effective algorithms
● Scaling of software to handle even more data
● Testing and debugging of software
● Documenting software
● Automating tasks so that we can further scale
Our ideal candidate will have 3+ years of experience in Java software development, and excel in the following areas:
- Java - our mission critical system is written in Java. We are looking for someone who really knows Java and has at least 3 years of experience threading, testing, debugging, IDEs, etc.
- SQL - we deal with data, lots of data. Therefore SQL is at the heart of much of our work. You not only have experience with SQL but also love making queries more performant. Specific knowledge of Postgres is a definite plus.
- Documentation – it’s not done until it’s documented. You recognize the value internally and externally of well-documented code and systems, and you see documentation as prerequisite to completion of a project.
- JSON and XML – data is our lifeblood. We ingest and produce various data sources regularly, and we integrate with many different systems. You should feel comfortable working with and writing parsers for data in various formats, especially JSON and XML.
- Unix command line - our backend services all run on Unix. You have command of UNIX CLI tools and feel at home in the UNIX environment generally.
- Cloud-based services – as the powerhouse behind our user-facing applications, we create and manage lots of servers, databases, and APIs. Having a great sense for how cloud services work and interact makes you a great asset.
- Contributing to production systems – our production system impacts millions of transit passengers a day. You feel responsibility for keeping production systems healthy and performant and have experience doing so.
- Learning - We are a startup, so there is a huge variety in our work. You love learning, and you are willing to roll up your sleeves and tackle new challenges.
- Communicating - we’re a small, cross-functional team that loves to move fast. You can effectively communicate technical issues and your reasoning behind architectural changes in easy-to-understand ways with the entire team.
- Being proactive – Swiftly powers data for massive transit agencies that rely on us to be reliable and responsive. You code defensively and proactively to ensure our systems our reliable, and if issues do arise, you ensure they’re dealt with speedily.
- Solving important problems – You feel passionate about improving the way cities move and want to be a part of the solution.
To apply, please send your resume (or LinkedIn profile export) and a cover letter on why you are the right person for this role at Swiftly. Applications without a cover letter will be rejected.
We are committed to a workplace that is as dynamic, diverse, and passionate as the community we serve. We especially encourage women, people of color, and others who are underrepresented in the tech industry to apply.