Come join Shippo’s Core team! We focus on key technologies that power our shipping platform (yes, like shipping real things). This includes services like our rating engine, tracking service, data pipeline for analytics, billing and ensuring our Shippo APIs are reliable and scalable.
Your role will give you end-to-end ownership over the design and implementation of Core services and give you the knowledge and responsibility of how it runs and scales in production.
We really care about making Shippo a great place to work so you can read more about what that means and how that impacts our day to day on our about us
page. Also, here’s some insider info
on the hiring manager.
- Design, implement, test, and deploy software services with high SLAs and that can handle millions of requests a day
- Ensure scalability and maintainability through microservices adoption, decoupling of concerns and data model, queuing of jobs and application layering and container-based software distribution.
- Continue to build out and enhance our CI/CD pipeline for smooth and safe production releases via automated testing and verification.
- Verify and ensure performance and correctness of systems in response time and throughput.
- Design and maintain database schema for large scale and performant services
- Architect systems and refactor existing systems for optimal performance and reuse
- Participate in peer reviews and testing and contribute to automated test suites and in design reviews for new features, products, and systems
- Collaborate with business teams and provide early input to new product ideas and functionality
Starting out you should have
- Coding experience in server-side programming languages (e.g. Go, Python, Java, Ruby) as well as database languages (SQL)
- Experience working with server-side MVC frameworks (e.g. Django, .NET, Spring, Rails, Phoenix)
- Solid understanding of object-oriented programming and familiarity with various design and architectural patterns
- Exceptional verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Deep understanding of customer needs and passion for customer success
- Exhibit core behaviors focused on craftsmanship, continuous improvement, and team success
- 3+ years of experience in software development
- BS or MS degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience
Be Awesome if you have
- Familiarity with Go programming language
- Experience with Django
- Past experience and success in building scalable APIs or services
- Interest and experience in performance tuning, concurrency, microservices, security, data pipelines, and web stack
- Experience integrating with APIs that use REST, SOAP and other technologies
- Experience with DevOps tooling such as Docker, Terraform, CircleCI, SumoLogic, PagerDuty, etc
- Experience with AWS/Cloud services such as EC2, S3, Lambda, Route 53, Cloud Formation, Cloudflare, Elastic Beanstalk, IAM, etc.
- Experience with billing and/or invoice systems (Stripe, Braintree, Zoho, Zuora, Chargebee etc)
- Benefits: medical, dental, vision (90% covered by the company, incl. dependents)
- Flexible PTO + work hours
- 3 VTO days for ShippoCares volunteering events
- $2,500 yearly learning stipend for your personal growth
- Free lunch / drinks / snacks
- Fun team events outside of work hours - happy hours, “escape the room” adventures, hikes, and more!
Shippo bridges the distance between businesses and their customers. As free and fast shipping becomes the norm, better access to shipping is a competitive advantage for businesses. Through Shippo, e-commerce businesses are able to connect to multiple shipping carriers around the world from one web app or API. Businesses can get shipping rates, print labels, automate international documents, track shipments, and facilitate returns.
Our team hails from all over the world. We bring our different backgrounds and perspectives together to solve unique shipping problems and help bring businesses and their customers closer.
Join us to build the foundations of something great, roll up your sleeves and get important work done every day. Founded in 2013, we are a proud team based out of San Francisco. Shippo is backed by top tier VCs including Bessemer Venture Partners, Union Square Ventures, Uncork Capital, VersionOne Ventures, FundersClub, and others.