Lightstream is building the future of live video production. Since 2014, we have been building a cloud-based livestreaming studio with the goal of removing all the technical hurdles and putting advanced production capabilities in the hands of beginners. Today, we have thousands of creators streaming with Lightstream Studio for thousands of hours every day. At the core of the Studio experience is our patented cloud compositing pipeline. We have partnered with Microsoft to offer Lightstream Studio to millions of Xbox and Windows streamers as part of the native OS experience. In April of 2019, we announced our acquisition of the powerful data analytics tool, Arsenal.gg, for streamers, brands, and game developers.
What’s next? We’re ready to take this big. Today, we have thousands of creators streaming with Lightstream Studio for thousands of hours every day and we deliver all this live video via a Kubernetes architecture. Continuously update video engine code across thousands of boxes to give streamers the latest and greatest? Yep, we do that. Target experimental changes with pinpoint precision? Yep, we do that too.
We’re a startup building enterprise-grade technical operations. Delivering high quality, low-latency video is our core business and performance is a critical feature. Our usage is growing month-over-month and every stream has to ‘just work.’ At Lightstream, devops is the heart of what we do and we’re looking for a lead engineer who’s ready for a career-defining role.
What we’re looking for...
- 5+ years industry experience in building, maintaining and operating distributed applications resulting in broad working knowledge. 10+ years desirable.
- Experience as a Senior Software Engineer preferred.
- Experience with containerization and container orchestration is critical. We use Docker, Kubernetes and AWS Fargate.
- Enthusiasm for working across a nimble, multi-cloud infrastructure.
- Significant experience with more than one of the major providers (AWS, GCP, Azure etc.) is a big plus.
- Demonstrated success at driving technical KPIs in areas such as performance, reliability or cost efficiency.
- Expertise in infrastructure-as-code using technologies such as Pulumi, AWS CDK or Terraform.
- Ability to improve engineering efficiency via automation, especially via alerting, monitoring and observability.
- A ‘good vibes’ teammate -- someone other people really want to work with.
We get really excited about people with...
- Experience creating and using events, data and logs to diagnose and solve production problems across the stack.
- Previous experience as a mentor/manager tech lead or high aptitude for technical project management, coaching and communication.
- Comfort with FaaS technologies such as AWS Lambda or Azure Functions.
- Familiarity or experience with digital audio/video concepts and technologies such as formats, codecs, containers, and transport methods.
- Experience with data pipelines and analytics datastores.
- Working familiarity with the web technology stack we use most (React, Node.js, MongoDB).
- Proven track record of learning new languages, tools or approaches.
Our team is driven by curiosity, a constant state of learning, good vibes, and strong opinions loosely held. We value diversity of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. At Lightstream, we want to create not only an inclusive workplace, but an equitable one for all.
We’ve been proud to not only build something truly amazing, but to build a company and culture we can be proud of. We default to kindness and interact with trust, respect, and empathy. Everyone is allowed to have bad days and we show accountability and ownership when we do. Most of all, we are grateful for the rare opportunity to solve exceptionally hard problems with people we love and respect.
As we grow, we’re building a team with deep experience in gaming (Razer, Steelseries, MLG, Humble Bundle and more), livestreaming (Twitch, Mixer, and more), video (OBS) and web scale technology (AWS, Rackspace). We were one of the top companies to go through Techstars in 2015, have been awarded a Chicago Innovation Award, and our early believers include MK Capital, Pritzker Group, MATH Ventures, and Drive Capital.