Position Title: Controller
Department: Finance & Accounting
Reports to: Chief Financial Officer
Status: Full-Time, Exempt
Compensation: Base plus bonus
The Controller is responsible for performing and managing GVL’s day-to-day accounting operations, including the preparation of month-end financial statements, the performance of financial analysis, and assisting the Chief Financial Officer with various finance-related projects.
- Complete month-end close process including timely and accurate preparation of month-end financial statements and reports
- Perform account reconciliation and analysis
- Post monthly accrual journal entries, fixed assets and depreciation
- Identify continuous improvement opportunities through automation and/or efficiency initiatives
- Establish and maintain proper controls for financial systems and operations
- Direct internal and external audits of the company's accounts, processes and controls
- Coordinate annual CPA review
- Perform other ad-hoc and project-based accounting and finance work
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or relevant field of study
- CPA strongly preferred
- 5+ years accounting experience, with mix of public and private experience
- Robust understanding of GAAP
- Experience with general ledger functions and managing the month-end/year-end close process
- Strong understanding of revenue recognition standards
- Experience with sales and use tax
- Knowledge of internal controls and accounting policy/best practices
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and Google products
- Exceptional Microsoft Excel skills, including the use of vlookups and pivot tables
- Solid time-management and follow-through skills, with the ability to simultaneously work on and manage multiple tasks and projects with tight deadlines
- Highly detail-oriented and organized
- Superior analytical and problem-solving skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
GVL provides animal health practitioners with unique, web-based software solutions that simplify processes, compliance and communication. Thousands of veterinarians save time with GVL, reducing errors and compliance issues, retaining client information and records in a searchable account, and providing clients with online and mobile access to their documents. GVL connects veterinarians, producers and animal owners, state animal health officials, feed distributors, veterinary diagnostic laboratories and other animal health industry partners to improve animal wellness and safety.
GVL currently operates in the US and Canada.
GVL’s vision is to be the world’s most trusted, secure and independent source of animal health data. GVL believes that all employees contribute to the good of the company. In reflection of this, GVL’s company core values encourage each employee to be Accountable, Spirited, Inspired, Dedicated, and Respectful.
GVL has reviewed this job description to ensure that essential functions and basic duties have been included. It is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all functions, responsibilities, skills and abilities. Additional functions and requirements may be assigned by supervisor as deemed appropriate.