User Experience Designer
General Indemnity Group
For centuries, there has been no industry more exciting than Insurance. With the exception, of course, of every other industry. However, where others see boring, we see opportunity. General Indemnity is looking to carve out a profitable space in a $550 Billion existing market. We don’t have to create demand for our products, it’s already there.
General Indemnity Group (“GIG”) is a wholly owned subsidiary of Boston Omaha Corporation, a publicly traded holding company (NASDAQ: BOMN). GIG is an insurance company that owns an “A-” rated insurance company with a 27-year operating history, a surety-focused Managing General Agency, and a Captive Insurance Company. GIG is actively looking for additional acquisitions in the insurance space.
What this all means is that while others are claiming to be able to build new “insurance tech,” they often still rely on finding partner insurance companies for their products. GIG is an actual insurance company that can write the policy.
The User Experience Designer will be responsible for all aspects of product design and marketing design including content strategy, information architecture, interaction design, metrics analysis, user research, user testing, user interface design, and visual design.
We are especially interested in candidates from under-represented groups as well as individuals who have experience with diverse populations who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of GIG.
The User Experience Designer will begin the job as an individual contributor. They will manage all aspects of their own design projects within the contexts of broader software development projects and marketing projects. They will have the opportunity to lead design teams as they demonstrate key individual and management competencies, and as the company’s needs grow over time.
The User Experience Designer will research and understand user needs and behaviors. They will write content using plain language and search optimization techniques. They will create effective, logical organizational structures that facilitate finding information. They will design processes and functions that help users interact with the system and achieve their goals. They will create consistent and predictable user interfaces. They will create aesthetically pleasing visual designs for products and for marketing. They will evaluate the quality of users’ experiences, analyze results, and iteratively improve.
The User Experience Designer will be accountable to:
- Establish means to evaluate and report quality of user experience
- Facilitate measuring usage of and performance related to products and marketing in designs; review and understand metrics at least monthly; iterate on design to improve accordingly
- Establish means to define scope of design tasks, measure task throughput and cycle time
- Create information architecture including organization schemes and structures, labeling systems, navigation systems, and search systems
- Create images and multimedia; create plain language and search optimized copy; develop content style guides and sustainable content governance
- Design user interaction processes and functions
- Research and report user needs and behaviors
- Create user interface wireframes and prototypes
- Create aesthetically pleasing visual designs
- Create design work for the company proper proactively and as needed
- Create design work for subsidiaries as needed
- Create design work for product development teams proactively and as needed
- Create design work for marketing teams proactively and as needed
The ideal candidate will additionally be accountable to:
- Recognize limitations of individual capacity, skills, and experience; report needs exceeding personal capacity or skills
- Source and delegate to top independent contractors and employees
- Refer top individuals and organizations from network to fill company needs
- Bachelor’s degree, master’s preferred
- 7+ years experience in design roles
- Excellent written, oral, and visual communication skills
- Desire to automate, modernize, optimize, and scale a profitable manual business model
- Principal location in Boston
- Must be willing and comfortable traveling as necessary
Salary and Benefits
- Competitive pay and benefits
Individuals seeking employment at General Indemnity Group are considered without regards to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, gender identity, or sexual orientation.
I’m Matt McClure. My past experiences working with health and auto insurers sparked my interest in insurtech. I grew and led the software engineering teams at MapMyFitness and TrueMotion. At MapMyFitness, I helped scale the platform’s capacity as the MapMyRun and MapMyRide communities grew from 2 million to 20 million users. At TrueMotion, my teammates and I built a platform to measure and improve driving safety. TrueMotion now powers Progressive’s Snapshot mobile apps.