For centuries, there has been no industry more exciting than Insurance. With the exception, of course, of every other industry. However, where others see boring, we see opportunity. General Indemnity is looking to carve out a profitable space in a $550 Billion existing market. We don’t have to create demand for our products, it’s already there.
General Indemnity Group (“GIG”) is a holding company based in Boston, and a wholly owned subsidiary of Boston Omaha Corporation (NASDAQ: BOMN). GIG consists of a surety insurance company and five insurance agencies across the US. We have employees in 8 states, and are seeking a Human Resources Manager to support all entities in GIG.
Job Title: Human Resources Manager for General Indemnity Group
Classification: Non-exempt (30 hours per week, flexible days/hours)
Positions Supervised: None
Salary Range: $50,000 to $75,000
Benefits Package: Healthcare, dental, vision, 401-K
Reports to: President of GIG
Location: Boston, MA
Summary / Objectives
The Human Resources Manager performs duties in the following functional areas: employee relations, employee on-boarding, affirmative action and employment equity program, benefits management, payroll coordination, and agents license compliance.
This position requires an extremely perceptive person who is capable of relating to individuals at all levels within the organization.
- Maintains all employee and applicant documentation as dictated by governing agencies.
- Maintains employee personnel files.
- Coaches, counsels and guides managers before executing employee disciplinary actions.
- Maintains and processes all Unemployment Notices of Entitlement and potential charges in a timely, efficient manner. Attends unemployment hearings when necessary.
- Assists with recruitment tasks as needed (reviews applications, interviews).
- Acts as an employee relations specialist.
- Manage PTO tracking.
- Manage employee offer letter and background check process.
- Manage self-reporting unemployment compensation registrations.
- Manage employee set up in PEO including role, pay and periodic salary adjustments.
- Complete time cards for Non-Exempt employees in PEO.
- Manage employee onboarding and termination processes.
- Manage E-verify requirements.
- Manage employee handbook alignment and updates for all GIG subsidiaries.
- Manage labor law poster compliance.
- Ensures compliance with USCIS Form I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification; periodically audits Forms I-9.
- Distributes and monitors employee performance evaluations and ensures they are done in a timely manner.
- Processes monthly billings from insurance providers and reviews for accuracy. Resolves discrepancies with carriers, payroll and the company.
- Monitors employee eligibility for benefits plans. Reviews benefits with employees and processes enrollment, cancellation or changes. Organizes and manages annual open enrollment communications and election process. Maintains and distributes list of new and cancelled employees under each benefit plan. Verifies benefit billing accuracy and processes for payment.
- Keeps abreast of legislation affecting human resources; trains management and monitors company policies to ensure compliance.
- Manage insurance agent licenses and CPE requirements.
- Create employee recognition programs.
- Tracks all employee disciplinary action.
- Reports, maintains and monitors all workers' compensation case files; follows-up on open cases.
- Manage expense reporting at GIG level.
Must have working knowledge of Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, general personal computer application and the Internet.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is a 30 hour a week position with flexible hours and days.
Some travel required
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor's Degree (four year college or university) preferred
- 5-7 years’ experience in the administration of benefits and compensation programs and other human resource programs.
- Law training a plus
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
SHRM Certified Professional (SHRM-CP) or SHRM Senior Certified Professional (SHRM-SCP) certification.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands and fingers to handle, feel, or operate objects, tools or controls, and reach with hands and arms. The employee is frequently required to stand, talk and hear.
GIG provides equal employment opportunity to all individuals regardless of their race, color, creed, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by state, federal, or local law.
The Company has reviewed this job description to ensure that essential functions and basic duties have been included. It is intended to provide guidelines for job expectations and the employee's ability to perform the position described. It is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all functions, responsibilities, skills and abilities. Additional functions and requirements may be assigned by supervisors as deemed appropriate. This document does not represent a contract of employment, and the Company reserves the right to change this job description and/or assign tasks for the employee to perform, as the Company may deem appropriate.