Reports to: Division Director or Assistant Division Director
FLSA Code: Exempt straight time overtime
An exciting opportunity is available to join Gewalt Hamilton Associates, an employee-owned, multi-faceted civil engineering and land surveying company that has built a reputation of civil engineering with a personal approach. We are seeking a Civil Engineer III to join our growing team located in Vernon Hills, Illinois.
This position may oversee the entire design process or assist as a technical expert on specialized design projects. Directs and supervises other engineering activities. May serve as project manager on smaller, less complex projects. This individual will work as a technical leader with the Project Manager.
The position will primarily consist of performing design engineering and plan production efforts on a variety of transportation projects for State, County, and Local Agencies. The individual should possess a knowledge of roadway design, horizontal and vertical alignments, grading and drainage, and utility improvements using MicroStation/GEOPAK. This position requires independent work skills and the ability to communicate and collaborate with GHA staff and the project team, as well as clients and outside agencies to achieve necessary approvals. The candidate must be self-motivated and organized to handle a variety of tasks on multiple projects.
The responsibilities of the position include:
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the responsibilities.
● Oversee the design of roadway, underground utilities, and infrastructure improvements for the state, county, and municipal clients in accordance with accepted design standards using Microstation/GEOPAK.
● Complete engineering plans and specifications using IDOT Standards as well as directing and reviewing production drawings by others.
● Process multiple Federal Aid Phase II projects for a variety of clients.
● Ability to perform independent CAD work as well as direct and review production drawings of others.
● Responsible for ensuring your team’s tasks, quality, project schedules, budgets, and client satisfaction are met.
● Communicates with project team and clients regarding project issues, holds and attends meetings, as required.
Required Knowledge, Education, and Experience:
● B.S. degree in Civil Engineering with a Professional Engineer (PE) license.
● Minimum of 8 years of roadway/highway design experience with an understanding of IDOT processes.
● Strong Microstation/GEOPAK skills are required.
● Work in a team-first culture that encourages individual development and accomplishment of goals.
● Ability to independently handle a variety of ongoing tasks and responsibilities
● Must be able to collaborate with other team members and have good interpersonal skills.
● Valid Driver’s License.
Required Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work independently with general supervision and as part of a larger team.
- Self-starting, detail-oriented individual, with organizational and interpersonal skills essential.
- A strong work ethic with the desire to learn and achieve.
- The ability to manage multiple projects.
- Strong self-initiative to meet client deadlines.
GHA offers an excellent benefits package that includes: Medical, Dental, Vision, Disability Insurance, Life Insurance, Flexible Spending Accounts, Parental Leave, Additional Paid Time Off, Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP), 401-K Retirement Plan, Profit Sharing and Tuition Reimbursement. To learn more, please visit us atwww.gha-engineers.com or contact Anika Moore, Human Resources Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Gewalt Hamilton Associates, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) and an E-Verify employer. Minorities, females, disabled, and veterans are encouraged to apply.