An exciting opportunity is available to join Gewalt Hamilton Associates, an employee-owned, multi-faceted civil engineering and land surveying company that has built a reputation of civil engineering with a personal approach. We are seeking Water Operator to join our growing team located in Vernon Hills, Illinois.
This position requires participation in a variety of essential technical work involving both field and office support. Candidate will operate various types of equipment, perform related mathematical computations, and provide support to professional engineering staff. This is a broad classification with individual positions assigned to specific functional areas; duties and assignments may overlap divisions depending on the operational needs and staffing levels.
As a Water/Wastewater Operator, you will utilize the company values in all phases of your work. You shall perform the full range of duties as assigned under general supervision in a timely fashion, and show competency in the following areas:
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform their responsibilities.
- Collect and test water and/or sewage samples, using test equipment and color analysis standards.
- Activate pumps, valves, and other processing equipment to move water through various treatment processes. Dispose of waste materials removed from water in accordance with GHA procedures and government controls.
- Record operational data or meter and gauge readings on specified forms.
- Operate and adjust controls on equipment to purify and clarify water, process or dispose of sewage, and/or generate power.
- Inspect equipment or monitor operating conditions, meters, and gauges to determine load requirements and detect malfunctions.
- Conduct ongoing repairs to equipment or shut down equipment for more extensive maintenance and repair, activate alternate equipment as needed. Request services of outside maintenance vendor for major repairs and overhauls.
- Facilitate emergency procedures in the event of overflow or spill of chemicals or unpurified water. Follow safety protocol.
- Must be available for some weekends, 24-hour duty, and emergency call-outs.
- Become proficient with office procedures, i.e. timesheets, mileage, expense reports, etc.
- All other related duties as assigned.
- Must have a high school diploma or GED.
- Requires a Class IV Wastewater Operator’s Certificate and/or Class B or above Water Operator’s Certificate issued by the Illinois Environmental Protection Agency.
- Must have a valid driver’s license.
- Requires 4-6 years mechanical experience, including at least two years specializing in chemical treatment of water and/or wastewater and/or a minimum of 2 years water and/or wastewater utility field with experience in operation and maintenance of ground-water supplied water systems and associated distribution systems.
- Utilize various engineering and word processing software, including Microsoft Word, Excel and other programs used within your scope of work.
- Must be able to take direction, collaborate with other team members, have good interpersonal skills, and communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Adapt to changing technologies and learn the functionality of new equipment and systems.
- Willing to travel frequently either locally or out of state on an overnight basis for an extended period of time.
- Work is performed in both an office environment and outdoors, including sites with exposure to inclement weather or extreme weather conditions — moderate physical demands, including sitting, standing, or walking for prolonged periods. Strength sufficiently to lift and move items weighing up to sixty (60) pounds. Vision should be sufficient to see and read plan specifications and drive a vehicle with or without correction; vision sufficient to read computer screens and printed documents and to operate survey equipment. Hearing sufficient to converse in the normal audio range with or without correction.
GHA offers excellent benefit packages that include: Medical, Dental, Vision, Disability Insurance, Life Insurance, Flexible Spending Accounts, Parental Leave, Additional Paid Time Off, Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP), 401-K Retirement Plan, Profit Sharing and Tuition Reimbursement. To learn more, please visit us at www.gha-engineers.com
or contact Anika Moore, Human Resources Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org
Gewalt Hamilton Associates, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) and an E-Verify employer. Minorities, females, disabled, and veterans are encouraged to apply.