Reports to: Division Director or Assistant Division Director
FLSA Code: Exempt with straight overtime pay
An exciting opportunity is available to join Gewalt Hamilton Associates, an employee-owned, multi-faceted civil engineering and land surveying company that has built a reputation of civil engineering with a personal approach. We are seeking a Civil Engineer II to join our growing team located in Vernon Hills, Illinois.
This position will primarily consist of performing preliminary design engineering and report production efforts on a variety of Phase I transportation projects for State, County and Local Agencies. The individual should possess a basic knowledge of NEPA as well as IDOT/FHWA policies and procedures. This position requires independent work skills and the ability to communicate and collaborate with GHA staff as well as clients and outside agencies to achieve necessary approvals. This position requires both office and field work. The candidate must be self-motivated and organized to handle a variety of tasks on multiple projects.
The responsibilities of the position include:
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the responsibilities.
- Prepare Environmental Survey Request (ESR) exhibits and documents.
- Assist with the design of roadway/highway and bicycle/pedestrian infrastructure improvements for state, county, and municipal clients in accordance with accepted design standards.
- Assist with the processing of Federal Aid Phase I projects.
- Assist Project Manager with project administrative activities and project deliverables.
- The ability to work independently as well as closely with other design professionals including planners, engineers, and surveyors to develop Context Sensitive Solutions.
- Completes tasks assigned by project engineers and project managers and meets projects' schedules.
- Assists with preparation for and attends Public Information Meetings / Public Hearings / Public Open House events often at night.
Required Knowledge, Education, Experience:
- B.S. degree in Civil / Environmental Engineering (required)
- Minimum of 4-6 years of transportation related experience (preferred)
- Illinois Professional Engineer (PE) license or ability to obtain within one year.
- An understanding of the environmental and location design study process for Federal-aid projects
- Experience with ESRI, ArcMap or ArcGIS Pro software (preferred)
- Valid Illinois Driver’s License and ability to travel throughout the Chicago area (own transportation).
Required Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work independently with general supervision and as part of a larger team.
- Self-starting, detail-oriented individual, with organizational and interpersonal skills essential.
- A strong work ethic with the desire to learn and achieve.
- The ability to manage multiple projects.
- Strong self-initiative to meet client deadlines
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Strong planning and organizational skills
GHA offers an excellent benefits package that includes: Medical, Dental, Vision, Disability Insurance, Life Insurance, Flexible Spending Accounts, Parental Leave, Additional Paid Time Off, Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP), 401-K Retirement Plan, Profit Sharing and Tuition Reimbursement. To learn more, please visit us at www.gha-engineers.com
or contact Anika Moore, Human Resources Manager at email@example.com.
Gewalt Hamilton Associates, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) and an e-Verify employer. Minorities, females, disabled, and veterans are encouraged to apply.