We’re looking for a Data Engineer who’d like to own the data pipeline of a fast growing startup where rapid iterations, data and tech are king.
Objectiv is the decision making platform built specifically for Product Teams. We use sophisticated technology to provide ready-to-use answers that let our customers take their products to the next level, and you’ll be part of the few that build what they experience.
What it's all about
You’ll start out doing most of the below, and because we are still an early startup things are always in flux. Together we’ll figure out what your role will look like in a year from now, depending on our shared ambitions:
- Systematically and programmatically couple incoming data processes, new models built & optimized together with the DS team, and feed the output to the front-end systems for client delivery. All using a very recent, fully containerized stack.
- Deeply understand the problems you work on so you can be sure the solutions are scalable across many deployments with minimal configuration and dependency.
- Help refine the roadmap for Data Science, Data Ops, as well as for the backend of the product, implement and optimize as you go.
- Work closely with senior engineering, data science and other teammates to ensure you get the data you need, the algorithms and processing are made efficient for all relevant use cases, and everything operates as smoothly as possible for internal and external users, while learning a ton with and from your peers.
What to bring?
We are looking for a data engineer who feels at home at the intersection between software engineering, data science and product. You understand the why and how of frameworks you choose, and you choose the right ones to address actual problems. You know when and how to compromise between getting things done quickly and taking the time to dive deeper and stretch infrastructure capabilities to get what we need.
This role is a senior, important position in our team, therefore at least 3-5 years of relevant professional experience is required. If you have done something outstanding during your studies, like contributing to open source projects or starting your own company, we encourage you to apply as well.
You have proof that you can / have / are:
- A degree in science, computer science, mathematics or similar discipline.
- Self-driven, capable of tackling very loosely defined problems, but also able to work towards a well defined goal. You know how to make things fluid under pressure and you keep your eye on the ball. The occasional deadline gives you superpowers. You get shit done.
- Clearly and effectively communicate solutions or challenges in complex situations within your team. You are not afraid of speaking your mind and sharing your opinions with the rest of the team. You are the cornerstone of the tech team; your colleagues can all build on your work.
- Believe that hard problems require simple solutions. Sometimes a lot of them :)
You have no fear of...
- Data! SQL, Relational DBs, Columnar storage, pretty big data (multiple TBs), BigQuery.
- Software engineering best practices such as code reviews, version control, automated tests, CI/CD.
- Deep discussions on the data stack, informing yourself or your peers.
Bonus points for...
- Experience with a data science stack (we use a pretty common python based one).
- Knowledge of user clickstream based data streams.
- Working with Linux, Docker, Kubernetes, maintaining CI, etc.
What we offer
The opportunity of a lifetime to join a fast-growing startup with experienced founders that have multiple data exits under their belt. We work with industry-leading enterprise companies, and we’re backed by influential VCs from Berlin and London. Our stellar team works from a great office within walking distance of Utrecht Central Station.
We offer competitive compensation plus a highly attractive stock-option plan. But most of all, the possibility to make true impact with your data & personal skills for the long run as well as the chance to rebuild your role every year as the company grows.
Join the company early, and help shape & fuel our growth. The excitement when you look around in the train and see people on Websites & Apps that use Objectiv to define what to build next is a very rewarding experience. Promised :-)
If you’re interested and think you fit the bill, we would love to iterate quickly on the coolest data tech, grow & learn with you. Come take the (guess)work out of product decisions with us!