Ethos is a new kind of life insurance built for people who don't have time for fine print, extra doctors appointments or hidden fees. We have transformed a 15 week process of paper applications and medical exams, into just the click of a button - by quantifying the user’s health risk using predictive models.
Our team hails from companies such as Google, Facebook, Snapchat, Instagram and Goldman Sachs. Our investors include Sequoia Capital, Jay-Z and Robert Downey Jr. We are growing quickly and looking for passionate people to join our San Francisco office.
About the Role
As the Director of Finance, you'll be an integral part of the leadership team efficiently our financial infrastructure at a high-growth company. You will lead the management and oversight of financial forecasting, accounting, debt facility negotiations, and financial roadmaps for strategic growth. This encompasses the company's forecasts, monthly planning process, management and Board reporting, and financial partnership to the organization. This role reports to our CEO.
To be successful in the role you will need a proven track record of dealing with complex accounting and financials, a strong cross-functional collaborator, an outstanding communicator, and a nimble, innovative, and strategic thinker. You will have the ability to understand Ethos' long-term strategies and translate them into actionable, motivating, and measurable goals.
You're Excited About This Opportunity Because You Will...
- Build our accounting and reporting systems from the ground up
- Enhance growth and opportunities to make an impact.
- Implement ways of working and systems that enhance financial rigor, enable more thinking and less data manipulation, and bring controls yet allow for the nimbleness and investment needed at a fast-growing company.
- Lay a strong foundation of financial planning that drives company performance and lead core processes such as long range planning, annual budgeting, and quarterly forecasts.
- Oversee preparation of business reviews that highlight key risks, opportunities, and proposed action steps. Leverage internal capabilities and industry best practices to bring innovation to systems and processes.
- Develop management reporting and commentary that provides senior leaders with timely insights into trends, operational results, and growth drivers.
- Play a leadership role in forecasting client demand in partnership with Marketing and Algorithm/Analytics teams.
- Provide frameworks, models, and business cases to guide capital allocation decisions that maximize shareholder value.
We're Excited About You Because...
- You are Bright, Kind, and Goal-Oriented with applicable experience at a fast-paced company. We're looking for someone who's flexible, nimble, humble and is ok with getting down and dirty … a positive outlook and sense of humor will serve you well.
- You have a B.A. (MBA strongly preferred) with 5+ years of financial analysis and management reporting experience, ideally at a fast-growth startup
- You know how to lead through change and are motivated by the challenge of a fast-paced, high-growth environment.
- You are highly analytical and can easily transition between the strategic and the detailed.
- You have a strong background in financial modeling, problem solving, and frameworks for driving growth.
- You are a curious and voracious learner and are willing to challenge the status quo. You are a good listener and a model business partner.
- You possess outstanding written, oral, and presentation skills and can communicate complex financial matters to broad audiences. You understand key accounting principles.
- You have strong Excel and systems skills and have experience with finance transformation projects.
You'll love working at Ethos because we...
- We're a successful, fast-growth company
- A technologically and data-driven business.
- Competitive salaries, generous equity.
- We're at the forefront of tech and insurance, redefining the life insurance industry for the next generation.
- We're passionate about our customers and live/breathe the customer experience.
- We get to be creative on a daily basis.
- A smart, experienced leadership team that wants to do it right & is open to new ideas.
- We believe in autonomy & reward taking initiative.
- We have fun! Free lunches, a fully-stocked snack & drink pantry, regular happy hours, lunch-and-learns, all-hands meetings and fun events