Ethos is a new kind of life insurance built for people who don't have time for fine print, extra doctors appointments or hidden fees. We have transformed a 15 week process of paper applications and medical exams, into just the click of a button - by quantifying the user’s health risk using predictive models.
Our team hails from companies such as Google, Facebook, Snapchat, Instagram and Goldman Sachs. Our investors include Sequoia Capital, Jay-Z and Robert Downey Jr. We are growing quickly and looking for passionate people to join our San Francisco office.
About the Role
You’ll work closely with our other engineers to build and ship key features. We are detail oriented and value clean, modular, and high-performing code. As an early engineer, you’ll directly influence our entire tech stack, from standards to frameworks to architecture. We love engineering-wide consistency in code and have huge ambitions on both client and server side.
- Collaborate with other engineers and designers to develop and ship features
- Design, build, and maintain our API’s
- Write efficient, modular, and reusable libraries and abstractions
- Design and build internal tooling to improve development efficiency
- Find and solve performance issues
- Participate in code reviews
- Communicate best practices to the team
- 3+ years of full time engineering experience
- Expert in SQL, database design, and familiarity with PostgreSQL
- Exposure to front and back end architectural patterns of large, high-scale web applications
- Ability to design clean APIs and understanding of performance issues
- Experienced with software engineering best practices – design patterns, code reviews, unit and integration testing, etc.
- Ability to communicate technical specifications both verbal and written
- Command over front-end web technologies such as HTML, CSS, React
- Solid CS fundamentals – including data structures and algorithms
Other Experiences – Not Required by a Plus
- Understanding of security, common attacks and defenses
- Knowledge of build systems configurations and setup - such as Webpack
- Experience with infrastructure, distributed systems, and deploying apps into a high-scale environment
- Experience building and maintaining open source repositories
Ethos is committed to building a diverse, and fulfilling work culture focused on learning and collaboration.
Join the team!