Associate Directors of Business Development (ADBD) are responsible for driving company growth in a highly competitive environment through the acquisition of new customers and strategic growth in high opportunity accounts. The ideal candidate has demonstrated the ability to acquire new business through a combination of:
- Winning business with qualified inbound leads by applying a sophisticated understanding of 10up's capabilities and craft to prospective client objectives and goals;
- Developing and cultivating new leads through networking, relationship development, and investigation;
- Expanding key accounts identified as growth opportunities in close partnership with an account manager.
ADBD's earn a generous and competitive base compensation tied to annual revenue targets, and have the opportunity for additional earned compensation based on a commission-like structure for revenue in excess of those targets.
Key skills and attributes required to succeed in the role include:
- Experience and expertise with complex digital and web design and build agency services, ideally delivering larger projects with WordPress. ADBDs must be capable of understanding key platform functionality and guiding high level strategy conversations with authority, conveying expertise to clients who may have some expertise themselves.
- Superior, persuasive, written and verbal communication skills in a remote and in person (“pitch”) setting: the ability to develop confidence in 10up’s expertise, professionalism, and craftsmanship by exemplifying it in our BD process and rallying internal and external collaborators and prospects to a project vision.
- Superior creative and critical thinking skills, offering thoughtful, consultative solutions and approaches to a variety of prospective project opportunities that (1) are not always well defined by a prospect seeking our expertise, and (2) often vary greatly between opportunities.
- Basic appreciation for design and attention to detail: modeling 10up’s craftsmanship by ensuring proposals, pitches, presentations and other material are well composed, constructed, and free from obvious omissions and errors.
- Superior empathy and listening skills: a genuine passion for solving unique client and prospect challenges by developing a deep understanding of their challenges and needs and setting them up for success, sometimes including subtle cues or “between the lines” messages about their motivations or intentions.
- Competitive nature: thrives in and is inspired by a competitive landscape where wins infrequently come easily.
- Superior time management and follow-through: the ability to balance and prioritize multiple opportunities and leads and be productive in a remote work environment without micromanagement.
ADBDs must balance collaborating in a team environment with independent motivation and proactive leadership. Successful ADBDs collaborate with 10up leaders to acquire new business (e.g. pitching creative work with the Vice President of Experience Design), align needs to 10up’s approach and availability, and proactively keep business development leaders apprised of their efforts using 10up’s tools. At the same time, ADBDs thrive with a level of autonomy and trust, and are not dependent on highly prescribed sales processes, templates, or other new business leaders to succeed and grow.
Candidates should have at least 2 years of experience in a business development or sales role at a professional services firm.
Specific day-to-day duties include:
- Communicate with prospects via calls, video conferencing, and in-person sessions to understand goals and define strategic and tactical plans aligned to their needs and 10up strengths.
- Write, edit, revise, and complete compelling emails, proposals, and other business development documents.
- Prepare strategic approaches to project opportunities and clients, that may include detailed guidance on the approach or project vision, collaborating with other leaders as appropriate.
- Negotiate client goals, constraints, and 10up resourcing and delivery standards to create detailed proposals, statements of work, estimates, and project plans that set 10up and its clients up for success.
- Maintain accurate, timely, and clear documentation for deals and leads.
- ADBDs are expected to be available during core business hours in their time zone, with some overlap with all United States timezone (ability to meet as late as ~10:30 am pacific).
- Occasional travel for pitches, networking, and onsites.
Nice to have
- Existing relationships with potential clients (“rolodex”).
- Located within 1 hour of a major metropolitan area, with the ability to regularly visit prospects and attend networking events, e.g. New York City, Chicago, Boston, Toronto, LA.
- Hands-on experience with core 10up disciplines, e.g. back and front end engineering or UX and visual design.
- A strong familiarity with the WordPress and web development ecosystem, e.g. knowledge of popular tools, plugins, frameworks, best practices, and conventions.
- Experience with the digital marketing ecosystem of tools, e.g. Google Analytics, DFP.
- Experience using G-Suite (Google Drive / Docs / Sheets etc) and macOS (including Keynote, Pages).
- Experience working independently in a work from home environment.