Reports To: Senior Director of Government Affairs
Classification: Full Time | Exempt
Schedule: Generally Monday through Friday. Work days and hours may shift depending on scheduling needs; typical schedule will be 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Flexibility required. This position will require occasional statewide travel.
Summary: The Government Relations Manager works with the Senior Director of Government Affairs to represent The Center with elected officials, their staff and key agency personnel. This individual will assist with the research, planning, cultivation, relationship management, and reporting functions to create, sustain and grow a comprehensive and integrated program of government partnership, support, and advocacy on behalf of The Center.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Support the execution of government relations strategic work, including coordination of The Center’s participation in events, collaborations and partnerships.
- Serve as a liaison with Community Boards and Borough Presidents, and state and city agencies, where appropriate.
- Coordinate The Center’s legislative priorities, including bill tracking and analysis, committee hearing tracking, regular communication and hearing preparation and testimony.
- Manage the government grant application process, including preparing and compiling all components for grant submissions, including meeting coordination, proper proposal formatting, packaging, and submission in accordance with granting agency requirements, as well as timeline and deliverable management.
- Engage with the LGBTQ political landscape at the local, state and federal levels.
- Develop, track and maintain database and system for recording and tracking grant proposals, awards and applicable information.
- Work with the Senior Director of Government Affairs to secure new government funding and maintain existing funding at the City, State and Federal levels for all Center programming.
- Support the facilitation of The Center’s government and community relations work as necessary.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Minimum of three (3) to five (5) years of direct experience working in a government setting or in a governmental relationship management function.
- Bachelors in Public Administration or a related field; or equivalent, transferable life/professional experience.
- Previous government relations experience within New York City and/or State strongly preferred.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Strong team player and the ability to work harmoniously with diverse team.
- Comfort with working in a fast-paced environment, where pivoting from project to project is necessary,
- Prior experience working on multiple projects and setting and sticking to priorities, while maintaining high attention to detail.
- Salesforce experience a plus.
- Highly organized, professional, and trustworthy.
- Working knowledge of government funding and contracting.
- Strong sense of initiative, ability to work independently and use independent judgment.
- Ability to manage and impart information to a range of internal and external stakeholders and interested parties.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to interact with a wide range of personalities including government officials, staff and members of the public.
- A strong commitment to the mission of The Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Community Center.
The Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer.