Reports To: Deputy Executive Director and Chief Operating Officer
Classification: Full-time | Exempt
The Senior Director of Operations is a member of The Center’s Senior Leadership Team and is responsible for the day-to-day planning and oversight of facility operations and supporting the work and activities of related teams to ensure high quality operational management. The Senior Director of Operations will ensure that all programs, services and events at The Center are properly supported and will lead our visitor services team to create an optimal guest and client experience. The Senior Director of Operations will set goals for performance and growth of the operations team, establish policies aligned with Center values, and develop strategic operational priorities for the team.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Plan, organize and lead a team of directors in facilities, event production and visitor services.
- Identify and implement operational best practices to ensure optimal coordination and efficiency among facilities, event production and visitor services.
- Implement and oversee policies and practices that support a safe workplace free of health and safety hazards and in compliance with applicable laws and regulations.
- Plan and coordinate comprehensive and ongoing operations staff training program.
- Support facilities team in the execution of building maintenance and housekeeping duties, as well as event set-up and breakdown procedures.
- Support event reservations and production activities, ensuring the appropriate policies, procedures and systems are in place so that Center programs and community organizations can effectively schedule use of space and equipment and conduct their programs and events at The Center.
- Provide strategic leadership and planning for space use earned income model, balancing mission-critical utilization with income generating initiatives.
- Support visitor services program and activities, ensuring the safe and efficient operation of the building and a consistent, affirming visitor experience that is responsive to community need.
- Supervise and coordinate third-party security detail.
- Implement and regularly update emergency preparedness plan and emergency management procedures; implement appropriate emergency preparedness training across all areas of the organization.
- In coordination with the Deputy ED/COO and Director of Facilities, plan and manage the execution of one-time and recurring maintenance and capital improvement activities.
- Address and resolve operations-related issues, as well as user and public issues and complaints in coordination with the Director of Visitor Services.
- Provide coaching/counseling to employees of policy and procedures; address and resolve talent management and employee relations issues in coordination with team leaders and People/HR leadership.
- Regularly conduct individual and department supervision meetings.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree or an equivalent combination of training and/or relevant experience.
- Minimum 10 years experience managing operations in a non-profit and/or government setting.
- Significant operational management experience at a senior level, motivating and empowering multiple direct reports to achieve milestones in human services and nonprofit organizational settings.
- FDNY Certificate of Fitness for Coordinator of Fire Safety and Alarm Systems; CPR, mental health first aid and Narcan certification preferred.
- Ability to perform job responsibilities with a high degree of initiative and independent judgment.
- Ability to balance strategy and planning with the demands of daily operations and the needs to staff.
- Superior verbal and written communication skills.
- Outstanding judgement and discretion when handling sensitive matters.
- Ability to work closely with Center staff, visitors and community members from diverse backgrounds with diverse perspectives.
- Experience engaging with diverse communities, including queer and TGNCNB individuals, people of color, immigrants and other historically oppressed communities; strong values rooted in a commitment to inclusive, multicultural perspectives and philosophies.
- Demonstrated entrepreneurial spirit and passion for serving community needs.
- A strong commitment to the mission of The Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender Community Center.
The Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer.