Senior Backend Software Engineer
Gamalon is an AI-first startup in downtown Boston, MA, building IdeaFlow: a new approach to machine learning. Our approach (abstract supervision of modular language generators) can learn to understand and discuss orders of magnitude more ideas and more complex ideas compared to previous generations of AI assistants and chatbots. Our IdeaFlow product learns new ideas by reading web pages, and then learns more by talking with people about the ideas.
Organizations are already using Gamalon’s alpha version of IdeaFlow, helping their website visitors quickly understand their products and services. We’ve seen great success with early customers. We are now heading into rapid expansion.
We are seeking a talented senior backend engineer to join our growing team. You have strong software engineering acumen and experience, and you get excited by thorny back-end challenges and architectures. You also get excited about delivering real products to be used in the world and improve the experience of our customers and their users. You get even more excited about making products that incorporate real-time, modular, machine learning deeply into the architecture.
Gamalon was recognized by MIT Technology Review as one of the “50 Smartest Companies” for 2017 and by the World Economic Forum as a 2018 Technology Pioneer. We have over $30 million in funding including the largest grant from DARPA in the past five years for development of next generation Artificial Intelligence and a Series A led by Intel Capital. We have filed 74 patents on our unique modular approach to machine learning.
- Help us build and scale IdeaFlow and other products incorporating our unique machine learning stack.
- Inform and influence the architectural design and direction of our software by building a scalable backend engineering stack and a great interface into our machine learning model
- Help us build a strong operations capability to continually test and deploy our application, monitor performance, scale with traffic, and quickly respond to incidents
- Experiment with new applications using Gamalon's core machine learning technology.
- Work in an agile environment, rapidly delivering shippable features into production.
Experience, Skills, and Interests:
- You are generous with others and collaborate well in a team environment.
- You have made a measurable impact on a commercial code base, working in a startup or other highly dynamic environment.
- You have worked in a “devops” environment where engineers owned applications from design and coding through to production, and owned monitoring and responding to production failures
- Strong interest in being part of a team building AI-first software products, collaborating with machine learning and data science engineers as well as with product design.
- You are a seasoned software architect, and comfortable interacting with product leadership.
- You are proficient in back end programming with Node.js and/or Python, with a facility for learning new programming languages and frameworks.
- You are based in the Boston area or willing to relocate.
- You are authorized to work in the U.S.
What We Offer:
- At Gamalon, machine learning is not a black box for software engineers. Our modular, generative program learning approach is unique because it is code that software engineers can read, not just neural network synapses with opaque math. We are invested in everyone at Gamalon understanding and contributing to the core machine learning algorithms.
- A small focused team where you can have a very high impact
- An open and low ego environment for learning
- Salary and equity negotiable
- Comprehensive healthcare (including dental and vision)
- 401k plan and parental leave benefits.
You may not feel that you have all of the experience and skills listed above, but if you are very excited about this role, please apply anyway. We have found that people who are passionate to join us are often the people who we are passionate to hire.
We have a relatively diverse team at Gamalon, and we have seen first hand that as our team diversity has increased, so has the quality of our ideas, teamwork, and delivery. People become more articulate when they are working within a diversity of view points. We work hard to encourage people of all backgrounds to apply. We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or other characteristics.