GAMA-1 Technologies, LLC is seeking a Software Developer with mid-level experience. The successful candidate supports the Advanced Weather Interactive Processing System (AWIPS), which provides cutting-edge technology to the National Weather Service. AWIPS is the cornerstone of a multi-year modernization program providing major improvements to National Weather Service (NWS) products and services. The AWIPS sites are linked with a state-of-the-art communications system so that the meteorologist and hydrologists are prepared to provide the most accurate forecasts in the quickest time possible. We are searching for an experienced Java Software Developer who will have the opportunity to provide software and system support aimed at operational maintenance of the AWIPS system.
Duties/Activities include but are not limited to the following:
- Provide maintenance support services for the enhancements, adaptations, and corrections made to AWIPS software to ensure AWIPS performance goals and service levels are met.
- For any new software developed, or changes made to existing software, perform ongoing application maintenance.
- Help support and evolve an advanced FOSS-based, Service Oriented Architecture (SOA) / Enterprise Bus (ESB) serving the needs of the American public.
- Document the software and associated policies and procedures
Required Experience and Education
- B.S./B.A. in Computer Science, Engineering, Science, IT, or Mathematics
- 2+ years of experience directly related to Java Software Development within SOA
- Programming skills Java/J2EE
- Experience with python scripting
- Experience with Agile Development approach, specifically SCRUM or Kanban
- Experience working within a Red Hat Enterprise Linux environment
- Proven ability to work well in small teams and be self-motivated
- Ability to acquire a US Public Trust clearance
- United States Citizenship
- Experience with service bus technologies, spring application framework, Java Messaging Protocol especially using QPID daemon, Hibernate with a PostgreSQL backend, Relational Database administration, OpenGL calls and UI design using Eclipse.
- Experience with XML and UML
- Experience in system level scripting, especially python, bash and c-shell.
- Experience porting older code into more modern framework
- Experience with network stack protocol
- Experience using Redmine, GIT, and Jenkins as part of the lifecycle.
- Experience writing and maintaining code to security standards of a FISMA High rated system.
- Exemplary critical thinking and problem resolution skills.