Hack Reactor @ Galvanize is a program for gifted students of software engineering. In three months, we transform ambitious amateurs to coding professionals.
Employees enjoy a fun, collegial startup environment genuinely committed to employee health and wellness, and filled with talented, hard-working and fun people. You will be surrounded by friendly, brilliant, and mission-driven professionals who work hard to provide the best student experience of its kind in the world.
The Lead Tech Mentor will be responsible for the day to day oversight of the software engineering team including instructors, cohort leads, class coordinator and residents and reports directly to the Program Director.
Technical Mentors are primarily responsible for ensuring students are technically prepared for a successful job search and career in the software industry. Technical Mentors are student-facing members of the team -- building culture, coaching success behaviors, and talking code. The Technical Mentor works closely with a small classroom of students across the entire length of the program, and is responsible for the educational and hireability outcome of the student as well as the strength of the community. The Tech Mentor watches over their class of students and ensures on a day-to-day basis that everyone is learning rapidly and is on track for success. When a student gets a job after the program, it is the core teaching staff that they thank with the deepest emotion.
- Ensure students are technically prepared for the job search
- Accurately, consistently, and proactively ensure student success and encourage autonomous learning
- Provide expert technical and project management guidance to small groups of students building exciting projects using cutting-edge technologies
- Proactively track & communicate student progress using program workflow, including grading, feedback, and modeling successful behavior
- Remediation and Support: Build and execute student action and remediation plans to ensure that all of our students become successful software engineers
- Curriculum Generation: Create & deliver materials and lectures addressing popular technologies and cohort-specific needs
- Collaboration: Serve as technical partner to all other departments that ensure job search success
- Experience with industry-standard software development practices and methodologies like Agile, Scrum and Kanban
- Ability to model student progress and remove educational roadblocks
- Empathy and charisma
- Passion for education and service
- Skilled and engaging facilitator/lecturer
- Can-do attitude and a sense of humor
- Willing, humble, and talented teammate
- Full benefits: medical/dental/vision insurance
- Inspiring workplace and motivated colleagues
- Pre-tax transit benefits and FSA/HSA
- FTO and sick days
- Awesome, open-office location in the heart of Pioneer Square, Seattle
Please submit a resume with your application. In lieu of a cover letter, please answer the following questions (<140 characters each):
- What is your favorite open-source library that you regularly use in your job?
- Please explain how it's useful to you.
- During a code review, list the characteristics you tend to comment on.
- Outline your favorite technical interview prompt.
- Describe what it means to you to have autonomy in your job.
Galvanize provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability.