Galvanize is a dynamic learning community for technology. Our community is where people and companies with the guts and smarts to create real-world change congregate and inspire each other. The goal is to make opportunities in technology available to all those with the aptitude, determination, and drive. Across our beautifully designed campuses nationwide, Galvanize offers a unique combination of education, workspace, and networking.
Galvanize teaches web development, data science, and data engineering to students, offers support and workspace to over 700 member companies, and provides over 200 networking events across our beautifully designed urban campuses throughout the nation. Galvanize campuses bring together entrepreneurs, students, investors, mentors, and great people and companies to develop the skills, mindset, and networks necessary to thrive in a technology-driven world.
Galvanize is a technology ecosystem for learners, entrepreneurs, startups, and established companies that meets the needs of the rapidly changing digital world.
We do this by:
- Transforming individuals and teams through effective education and community programs
- Delivering exceptional outcomes
- Coalescing and nurturing a community of innovators anchored by our campuses
This position focuses on the Hack Reactor Software Engineering Immersive program (HR-SEI). In order for a student to be accepted into the HR-SEI, they must successfully:
- Pass a Technical Interview
- Complete “Pre-course” work prior to the first day
These two filters are critical to the mission of the organization. Finding the right kind of student strongly influences classroom experience and the outcomes of our programs. Interviewing is a first-class job at Galvanize.
Prospective students are typically beginner to intermediate level coders who are interested in using our program to become advanced. These are some of the things we are looking for in a prospective student during the Technical Interview:
- Technical Verbalization Skills
- Problem-solving approach
- Response to frustration
In addition to conducting Technical Interviews, the Interview Engineer provides students with coaching and feedback on what they did well, how to improve, and what next steps to take in the admissions process.
After gaining acceptance into the HR-SEI, students work on required Precourse where they are challenged to nearly autonomously complete modules on:
- Intro to Git and the Command Line
- Intro to Testing and Debugging
- Scopes and closures
- Keyword “this”
- Building a basic web app
During the Precourse phase, the Interview Engineer:
- Ensures students meet submission deadlines
- Provides feedback on the projects
- Provides an appropriate level of technical support and coaching that gets students unstuck while growing their skills as an autonomous developer.
- Experience in engineering, education, coaching, or counseling
- Strong oral and written communication skills. Able to empathize with candidates and provide actionable feedback.
- A genuine desire to continuously improve the Hack Reactor Software Engineering Immersive and the student vetting process
- Ability to model student progress and remove educational roadblocks
- Passion for education and service
- High emotional intelligence
- Strong organizational and planning skills
Galvanize provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability.