Vision & Values:
Galvanize is a dynamic learning community for technology. Across 8 beautifully designed urban campuses, Galvanize offers a unique combination of education, workspace, and networking.
Galvanize is looking for an experienced, energetic Barista to join our team. If you enjoy a fast-paced, results-driven, growth-oriented environment, Galvanize is the place for you.
Baristas serve as the frontlines of our member and guest experience. They personally connect with, laugh with, and uplift the lives of our customers – even if just for a few moments. Their work goes beyond handcrafting a perfectly made beverage or making and delivering a delicious meal; it’s about creating a human connection with every customer. Galvanize cafes are craft cafes positioned at the entrance of Galvanize. We focus on artisanal breakfast and lunch offerings paired with local coffee roasters. We are seeking employees who are passionate about the hospitality industry and have an excitement for sharing great products with their guests.
You will have the opportunity to be creative in beverage development, daily specials and menu offerings. Your typical work week is daytime Monday-Friday (occasional nights and/or weekends if there are a catering events). The San Francisco café is an open café that allows you to have strong interactions with guests.
Competitive hourly wage + tips; excellent benefits. Galvanize provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status.
- Act with integrity, honesty and knowledge that promote the culture, values and mission of Galvanize.
- Some culinary requirements: Baristas prepare food orders in support of kitchen staff.
- Maintain a calm demeanor during periods of high customer volume or unusual events to keep café operating to standard and to set a positive example for the team.
- Anticipate customer and café needs by constantly evaluating environment and customers for cues. Communicate information to Event & Cafe Manager so the team can respond as necessary to ensure customer satisfaction.
- Assist with new team member training by positively reinforcing successful performance and giving respectful and encouraging coaching as needed.
- Contribute to positive team environment by supporting team members, demonstrating a positive attitude and raising concerns to management appropriately.
- Deliver legendary customer service to all customers by acting with a customer-comes-first attitude and connecting meaningfully with the customer. Discover and respond to customer needs.
- Follow operational policies and procedures, including those for cash handling and safety and security, to ensure the safety of all team members during each shift.
- Maintain a clean and organized workspace so that all team members can locate resources and product as needed.
- Assist with monthly inventory counts.
- Provides quality beverages, and food products consistently for all customers by adhering to recipe and presentation standards. Follow health, safety and sanitation guidelines for all products.
- Recognize and reinforce individual and team accomplishments.
- Maintain regular and consistent attendance and punctuality, with or without reasonable accommodation
- Prior hospitality experience in a customer service and/or barista role required
- Available to work flexible hours that may include early mornings, evenings, weekends, nights and/or holidays.
- Meet cafe operating policies and standards, including providing quality beverages and food products, cash handling, and cafe safety and security.
- Engage with and understand our customers, including discovering and responding to customer needs through clear and pleasant communication.
- Prepare food and beverages to standard recipes or customized for customers, such as recipe changes in temperature, quantity of ingredients or substituted ingredients.
- Available to perform many different tasks within the cafe during each shift.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to learn quickly
- Ability to understand and carry out oral and written instructions and request clarification when needed
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Ability to build relationships
- Exceptional verbal communication skills
Galvanize provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status.