Our client is looking for a Back-End Engineer to join their San Francisco team. The ideal candidate needs a strong background of CS fundamentals, so a CS degree from a top school (or equivalent experience and talent) would be ideal for this role.
About the client:
You're a master of high-throughput, low latency, distributed systems. You don't get out of bed for less than a terabyte of data, and you eat a billion queries for breakfast. You're a performance-obsessed data crunching machine, but you also understand when it makes sense to build the perfectly scalable theoretically beautiful solution, and when it makes sense to hack something together that will get us through the next few weeks.
We process billions of data points about millions of consumer transactions every day, but we've barely begun to scratch the surface of this data's true potential. Our challenge is to harness the power of this data to drive a wide variety of sophisticated marketing use cases, all in an ever-growing highly-available high-performance environment.
While this may sound like a specialized position, we're a small startup. In order to move fast enough, we must all be generalists. We don't know what tomorrow will bring, but we know that it will certainly be different from today. We need to build systems for massive scale that can take us into the future, but we must also build with the understanding that we're in the business of evolving very quickly.
- Master of at least one scripting language (e.g., Ruby, Python, etc.) and at least one compiled language (e.g., Java, C/C++). Bonus points for Java and Ruby experience.
- CS degree from a top school (or equivalent experience and talent). A strong background in CS fundamentals is a must for this position.
- An appreciation for the delicate balance between expediency and elegance. You're a detail-oriented perfectionist who understands that sometimes "perfect is the enemy of good."
- You must be incredibly smart and a fantastic engineer. Bonus points if your friends would describe you as one of the best engineers they know.
- An all-around nice person who wants to surround themselves with other nice people. No jerks allowed.
Excited to work in downtown San Francisco. We will relocate you if necessary.