FreshWorks Studio is growing quickly and is seeking an experienced Director of Software Development to lead, mentor and expand our web and mobile development team of 30+ team members of all levels. The new role, reporting directly to the CEO, will be responsible for co-developing the technical strategy while bringing additional structure to our development teams by establishing best practices in hands-on application development and DevOps, mentoring other tech department leads, and acting as the primary link between the development teams and the leadership team.
As the Director of Software Development, your primary role can be described as a people leader and technical guide. In addition to your high-level strategic contributions, you’ll be an active part of various project teams. This will take up to ~50% of your capacity and will include assisting the team with pre-sales requirements and/or timeline estimations, giving feedback on technical components of RFP proposals, playing a role in helping new project teams collaborate, and making architectural decisions.
Your background in leading teams in a service-based environment is crucial to your success in this role. You understand the challenges and triumphs that come with a growing, young tech company and are eager to share your past experience in hiring, performance management, service delivery and maintenance, and both technical and business-focused decision making in order to improve overall efficiency at FreshWorks.
- Contribute to the overall business, technology, and organizational strategy;
- Collaborate with executive counterparts to ensure the delivery of outstanding experiences to FreshWorks’ clients;
- Facilitate growth and development for the development team, including coaching, career path development, and performance management;
- Help identify key priorities, and design and manage operating structures that support a high performing and effective team and a reliable, sustainable, and high-quality delivery process;
- Oversee the entire software development lifecycle process, both with internal employees, clients, and with key vendors in terms of architecture, development, QA, operations, hosting, privacy, security, and customer data protection;
- Set us best practices around major technology or architecture decisions, modern DevOps environments, unit testing, security testing etc.;
- Play a key role in championing hiring efforts for developers at all levels.
Need to Haves
- 7+ years of experience in the software development field, including 2+ years leading a team of 10+ developers, managers, and closely associated roles;
- Deep understanding of DevOps setup and maintenance, setting up for CI/CD/CT pipelines etc.;
- A history of successfully managing projects from conception through development, deployment and maintenance, preferably in a service-based business;
- A proven track record for coaching, managing and developing team leaders and developers including identifying exceptional team members, supporting your team through promotion processes and aiding in succession planning;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; can articulate concepts clearly and concisely, and make effective presentations to internal audiences, technical workshops, conferences and investors;
- A solutions-oriented mindset with both the patience and drive to lead in an innovative, fast-moving, growing service-based environment.