What is Freenome?
Freenome is a health technology company bringing accurate, accessible and non-invasive disease screenings to you and your doctor to proactively treat cancer and other diseases at their most manageable stages. Freenome is a place where you can do your best, most meaningful work, and contribute to a whole new way of thinking about curing cancer. It’s a data-driven, diverse company at the intersection of biology, technology, and medicine.
Equip you and your family with knowledge and tools to maintain a healthier life and prevent disease.
About the Role
At Freenome, you will help develop the assay technologies used to analyze patient samples and contribute to our mission of early detection and intervention in human disease. As a Research Associate, you will help with the design and execution of experiments, manually or on robotic platforms, that will further the performance of Freenome’s assays. You will work closely with Scientists, Computational Biologists, and Machine Learning Engineers to rapidly iterate on improvements to the core analytical methods, to evaluate new technologies that can enhance our end-to-end test performance, and to implement efficient workflows to increase the throughput of both experimental and clinical workflows.
- Diligently apply Good Laboratory Practices to perform mission-critical experiments to help optimize the performance of Freenome’s assays across all analytical pipelines.
- Take detailed notes, gather experimental data, and openly communicate on lessons learned while processing samples.
- Participate in experimental design and troubleshooting efforts, helping come up with the most efficient ways to execute on various experiments.
- Leverage the knowledge of subject matter experts to become an effective stakeholder in cross-functional research.
- Help with process improvements across the lab by thinking critically about the execution of all experiments.
- Collaborate with technology transfer and clinical laboratory members to transition development protocols into clinical production, including automation, validation experiments, and SOP development.
- Participate in supporting tasks across the organization as needs arise.
What We're Looking For
- B.S. degree in molecular biology, biochemistry, genetics, or a related field.
- 2+ years of laboratory experience in the life sciences.
- Hands-on experience with molecular biology assays and instrumentation including DNA and RNA extraction; qPCR, ddPCR, and RT-PCR; ELISAs, Western blotting, and other immunoassays; etc.
- Proven track record of running successful experiments, preparing data for review, and giving effective scientific presentations.
- Ability to perform basic data analysis and be critical of results obtained during experimentation.
- Clear communications skills and ability to work with team members in the same and adjacent disciplines.
Nice to Haves
- Previous industry/start-up experience in the life sciences.
- Understanding of the biology of nucleic acids, especially human cell-free nucleic acids.
- Experience working in a BSL-2+ environment and handling human biofluids.
- Experience with Illumina library preparation and sequencing technologies
- Experience running assays on an automated liquid handling platform (Hamilton, Tecan, or Beckman-Coulter).
- Working knowledge of clinical assay development.
- Computing skills: expertise in Linux and a general-purpose or scientific programming language (Python, R, Java, C, C++)
Our culture is simple. We value Empathy, Trust, and Integrity. We feel from the perspectives of each other, patients and the communities we serve. We give each other the benefit of the doubt and believe we’re all working as a team towards our goals. We conduct ourselves with integrity, empowering others to grow in a collaborative environment. Freenome explicitly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status.
What does a successful person look like at Freenome?
You can prioritize, manage and execute your goals and align them with the mission of Freenome. You’re a steward of the culture and hold yourself and the team accountable. You believe hiring and mentorship are fundamental to building the organization. You bring ownership to your role, focus on your process and find the gaps to help Freenome reach its full potential. You welcome feedback and criticism knowing its value is to build people up and support each other, rather than tearing each other down.