What is Freenome ?
Freenome is a health technology company bringing accurate, accessible and non-invasive disease screenings to you and your doctor to proactively treat cancer and other diseases at their most manageable stages. Freenome is a place where you can do your best, most meaningful work, and contribute to a whole new way of thinking about curing cancer. It’s a data-driven, diverse company at the intersection of biology, technology and medicine.
Equip you and your family with knowledge and tools to maintain a healthier life and prevent disease.
About The Team
At Freenome, you will help develop the assay technology analyzing patient samples to contribute to our mission of early detection and intervention in human disease. As a Staff Scientist, you will be the internal subject matter expert in DNA/RNA assay technology for the development of both existing and new or complementary techniques. You will work closely with Computational Biologists to rapidly iterate on improvements to the core analytical method and to evaluate new technologies that can drive improvements in our end-to-end test performance.
- Apply expert knowledge of molecular biology and biochemistry to refine existing and develop new next-generation sequencing-based assay protocols.
- Optimize protocols and workflow upstream of sequencing, including sample collection, extraction, and quantitation.
- Collaborate with Computational Biologists to evaluate the cost/benefit of integrating new molecular technologies into our analytical workflow.
- Collaborate with clinical laboratory members to transition development protocols into clinical production, including design of validation experiments and collaboration on SOP development.
What We're Looking For
- PhD or equivalent research and development experience in molecular biology, biochemistry, genetics, chemistry, or a related field.
- 5+ years post-PhD experience in NGS-based DNA or RNA assay development.
- Expert-level knowledge of next-generation sequencing assay development, including both general nucleic acid biochemistry as well as specifics of optimization for different applications, platforms, and analytes.
- Proven track record of building robust assays for large-scale use by third parties: you don’t just use the kit, you designed the kit.
- Ability to perform basic data analysis for experimental iteration independent of external support.
- Understanding of the biology of nucleic acids in humans, especially cell-free nucleic acid (cfDNA, cfRNA) biology.
- Experience managing scientific teams and mentoring junior scientists.
- Clear communications skills and ability to work with team members in the same and adjacent disciplines.
Nice to Haves
- Experience implementing and optimizing methods beyond germline DNA-seq of organisms with clean reference genomes: RNA-seq, epigenetics, single-cell sequencing, sequencing of ancient/archaic DNA, metagenomics, de novo genome sequencing.
- Ability to design for automated implementation: you’ve optimized for plate-based, low-volume formats and/or microfluidics and have used automated liquid handlers.
- Understanding of bioinformatics tools in NGS and ability to independently perform advanced analyses of sequencing data.
- Computing skills: expertise in Linux and a general-purpose or scientific programming language: Python, R, Java, C, C++.
- Hands-on proficiency in managing technology transfer requirements, including guard-banding and stability studies, in-process quality control, etc.
- Experience working in a regulated laboratory environment (CLIA, GLP/GCLP, IVD development).
Our culture is simple. We value Empathy, Trust and Integrity. We feel from the perspectives of each other, patients and the communities we serve. We give each other the benefit of the doubt and believe we’re all working as a team towards our goals. We conduct ourselves with integrity, empowering others to grow in a collaborative environment. Freenome explicitly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status.
What does a successful person look like at Freenome?
You can prioritize, manage and execute your goals and align them to the mission of Freenome. You’re a steward of the culture and hold yourself and the team accountable. You believe hiring and mentorship are fundamental to building the organization. You bring ownership to your role, focus on your process and find the gaps to help Freenome reach its full potential. You welcome feedback and criticism knowing its value is to build people up and support each other, rather than tearing each other down.