Clinical Coding Curator
What is Freenome?
Freenome is a health technology company bringing accurate, accessible and non-invasive disease screening to you and your doctor to proactively treat cancer and other diseases at their most manageable stages. Freenome is a place where you can do your best, most meaningful work, and contribute to a whole new way of thinking about treating cancer and other diseases. It’s a diverse, data-driven company at the intersection of biology, technology and medicine.
Equip you and your family with knowledge and tools to maintain a healthier life and prevent disease.
About the Role
Freenome’s Clinical Coding Curator will help us deliver industry-leading solutions by leading disease ontology and classification efforts across the company and ensuring complete, consistent and accurate clinical annotation of specimens. You will work closely with multiple teams across the company, including R&D, clinical development, and software engineering, to drive product development. If this sounds exciting, we’d love to hear from you!
- Implement and maintain a clinical ontology of disease for use in the company’s clinical studies.
- Lead the implementation of curation workflows to ensure that clinical annotations are complete, consistent, and accurate
- Oversee a team to support the company’s curation efforts as needed
- Maintain domain expertise and serve as an internal subject matter expert on clinical coding and ontology schemes
What We're Looking For
- Certification as a certified professional coder by the AAPC and/or as a certified coding specialist by the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA)
- At least 2 years of experience directly applying codes
- Thorough knowledge of ICD-10CM and ICD-O-3
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a cross functional team
- Excellent oral and written presentation and communication skills
- Excellent problem solving and organizational skills
Nice to Haves
- Bachelor and/or advanced degree in a life science discipline such as chemistry or biology, with some education in genetics and/or genomics
- Experience working in an outpatient or inpatient setting, or in a physician office setting (especially in oncology)
- Strong background in biology, genetics and genomics, and/or oncology
- Comfortable scripting for, and interfacing with, databases directly through SQL interfaces or indirectly through web interfaces or ORM clients
Our culture is simple. We value Empathy, Trust and Integrity. We learn from the perspectives of each other, patients and the communities we serve. We give each other the benefit of the doubt and believe we’re all working as a team towards our goals. We conduct ourselves with integrity, empowering others to grow in a collaborative environment. Freenome explicitly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status.
What does a successful person look like at Freenome?
You can prioritize, manage and execute your goals and align them to the mission of Freenome. You’re a steward of the culture and hold yourself and the team accountable. You believe hiring and mentorship are fundamental to building the organization. You bring ownership to your role, focus on your process and find the gaps to help Freenome reach its full potential. You welcome feedback and criticism knowing its value is to build people up and support each other, rather than tearing each other down.