The Integrated Advertising division in London are looking for a senior level Houdini FX Technical Director. The department has work across high-end television, VR, Rides, Commercials and more.
FX Technical Directors create CG renditions of naturalistic physical or magical phenomena such as fire, water, clouds, smoke, physical destruction and particulate.
- Creating particle, rigid-body, fluid, cloth, fur and/or hair simulations or animations
- Applying lighting and shaders to produce the final rendered image or passing the simulation on to a Lighting Technical Director
- Using a variety of commercial and proprietary FX tools including Houdini & Maya
- Working in partnership with other departments to ensure that shots are delivered to the highest possible standard
- Working within the team to determine the various design solutions needed to create the effects
- Designing and creating images, elements, effects, pipelines, tools and techniques
- Helping to design solutions involving a more procedural approach in order to create the effects required
- Producing reviewable composites of all FX elements for a shot. Sometimes FX TDs will be expected to produce final renders too
- An excellent knowledge of Houdini
- A thorough understanding of the techniques and technologies relating to FX simulation and procedural animation
- Previous experience producing effects such as smoke, fire, clouds, water, steam and explosions in addition to simulation techniques for rigid-bodies, cloth and hair
- A good understanding of animation and an eye for motion
- A working knowledge of Mantra or HtoA
- A good understanding of the entire visual effects process
- A familiarity with pipeline issues, especially working between multiple packages
- A working knowledge of at least one compositing application (preferably Nuke) and a solid understanding of the compositing process
- Strong Vex, hscript, python and/or Mel scripting skills
- Knowledge in other simulation packages
- Knowledge of the Houdini HDK
- Experience with other render packages
- Experience working on long-form or commercials projects
Framestore is proud to employ extraordinary talent across all genders, races, nationalities, religions, ages, abilities and sexual preferences. We aim to encourage and support all of our current and future employees to achieve their potential. No job applicant will receive less favourable treatment on any basis when applying for a career with us.