Location: Lexington, MA
Reports to: CFO
The Vice President of Legal will be a leader within the organization and will work closely with senior management to provide guidance on business legal matters and support all functions as the in-house subject matter expert. S/he will develop legal and compliance strategies and functional plans for the company including commercial compliance oversight and employment law matters. S/he will work collaboratively with our patent, copyright, intellectual property advisors. The Vice President will develop functional plans for managing the company’s legal activities and minimize risk for the business. Additionally, s/he will oversee contract negotiations and other day-to-day legal matters in a small but growing organization. S/he will also serve as the liaison with external counsel/partner firms, leading the related projects and managing the associated budgets.
• Provide advice and counsel to senior management and other business leaders on legal, regulatory, legislative, compliance and business issues.
• Build a foundations to support future public company governance and compliance policies and procedures.
• Lead the legal efforts towards organizational maturity and IPO.
• Lead a cross-departmental effort towards compliance with data privacy rules in the US and abroad, including HIPAA and GDPR.
• Provide legal guidance as a subject matter expert with strategic licensing and partnerships.
• Draft, negotiate and interpret contracts with clients, vendors and other third parties.
• Provide legal expertise on various matters on a global basis in support of company’s global objectives.
• Handle other day-to-day legal issues arising including employment, intellectual property, and corporate governance.
• Serve as the primary legal expert on strategic and operational business initiatives, liaising with external legal counsel and partner firms globally.
• Represent the company before regulatory bodies, accounts and vendors as appropriate.
• Identify, analyze and provide advice with respect to potential legal issues and risks across various complex legal and compliance matters.
• Develop a sound internal legal infrastructure for the company, establishing, leading and managing the associated team over time.
• Manage assigned team budget.
• Bring a “can do” spirit to work and deliver on other responsibilities as assigned.
Education or Certification Requirements
• Graduate of a law school accredited by the American Bar Association
• Active member in good standing of the Massachusetts Bar
• J.D. and Massachusetts Bar membership
Professional Work Experience
• 12+ years of experience as legal counsel to/in the life sciences industry
• Experience in legal compliance and health law strongly preferred
• Experience in biotech, pharmaceutical and/or medical device industries preferred
• Prior vocational experience in related fields a plus (i.e. Co-Ops, Internships, Fellowships, etc.)
• Demonstrated successful leadership & management experience in a company or a legal firm
Qualifications and Skills
• Ability to understand legal and business issues quickly, exercise sound judgment, and provide practical legal advice and solutions.
• Proven ability to develop collaborative relationships with internal partners and external customers with comfort interacting with associates across departments and job levels.
• Ability to anticipate and estimate risks strategically.
• Successful track record of business and solution-oriented approach to resolving issues.
Other Essentials and Key Success Factors:
o Successful track record of working in high-growth and dynamic organizations
o Demonstrated record of intellectual curiosity, innovation and creative problem solving with an entrepreneurial spirit
o Ability to lead fast-paced projects with a keen sense of urgency to get the job done well
o Evidence of "hands-on" experience and expertise
o Proven and successful track record as a team-player and collaborator in small working environments
o Highly organized and detail oriented with a passion to deliver quality results
o Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with experience translating technical concepts into user-friendly documentation
o Highest levels of professionalism, confidence, personal values and ethical standards
• Will be required to travel up to 20% globally
The description and requirements outlined above are general; additional requirements may apply.